Picnic Table - Proof of Concept

I needed to come up with a way to be able to quickly dry the RV picnic table after it rains.  Being on a Great Lake often means sudden storms blow through with little warning, and pass right on by.  We'll have dinner plans and find ourselves stuck with a wet table.  Strong winds will blow off outdoor tablecloths, so I had to come up with a solution that could be easily dried and not prone to flying away.  Here's what I'm trying out: a cut up plastic shower curtain.

I came up with the idea last year but TBG was not on board.  After being at camp by myself for a week, I decided to give it a go -- without Mr. Skeptic around to ask why I was doing it.  The shower curtain came from Big Lots, and I had a container of thumb tacks from Dollar Tree.  I cut the curtain into three sections, hammered in the thumbtacks, then cut off any excess. Nothing to catch and blow away in the wind!

I am very happy with how this looks and I think it proves my concept sound.  What I have decided, was that using cheap materials was not the way to go.  The BL shower curtain is too thin and the thumbtacks really not strong enough -- although I don't think they are going to fall out.

I'll be shopping around for a heavy duty rubber/plastic shower curtain on sale, and will also get a package of upholstery tacks.  That will make for a much sturdier covering.

The table has been tested today as a swift thunder storm came through.  The sky is clearing now. I will wipe the table down and get an idea of how long it will take to dry in the sun.  Me thinks the table and benches will be dry much sooner than if the exposed wood was well soaked.

I think this picnic table protection project will be a nice success!

Comments

  1. Not sure what camp out with little rain would be like. Part of plan from above.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week, there have been massive downpours with high winds! But the cover held.

      Delete
  2. I think that was a really great idea! Nothing worse than getting a damp bum from sitting on moist wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has worked out well. I've used a squeegee to pull off the little puddles, then used the spongey side to do a little cleaning. With a little wind and sun, the surface is drying up quickly. This idea is a keeper!

      Delete
  3. Great idea! The ideal solution would be oilcloth as it comes in pretty patterns and lasts for ages - although it's not a cheap option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one solution I am keeping in mind -- I'll be looking for it on clearance or marked down, on sale, etc. I am using a piece of heavy rubberized/poly fabric on our dinette top, and that's been easy to wipe down. Whatever I can do that is economical and sturdy will be the way to go!

      Delete

Post a Comment