Disappointing Door

Coming into the house back in January, I noticed our new door was starting to show some serious flaws in its finish.  There was this bubbling and cracking by the window, which was quite alarming for an expensive custom piece which we'd paid a decent sum of money for.

The first thing I did, was look at the sales brochure and visit the manufacturers website.  The product has a five year warranty on the finish, so I felt confident we'd get it taken care of.

Well, it's taken us  months!  Given the informal process we used to get the materials, we had never gotten any sort of invoice for the materials.  I emailed the guy I dealt with and sent pictures, but heard nothing.  This turned into multiple emails, phone messages and texts.  At one point, TBG got a reply that they found the invoice and were working on it.

After a couple of months of hearing nothing, I was ready to start assembling everything I needed to bring this to small claims court.  This was not something I was looking forward to!  I figured with copies of the emails asking for the invoice, reporting the problem, showing the texts, I'd be OK.  I'd been in touch with the manufacturer, who told me they could do nothing without the invoice.  I'd figured litigation would be the only other option.

TBG called the company last week with the intention of telling them what my next step would be.  Turns out, they actually have a door in for us now and are working on it.  They are very busy and just need time to schedule someone to come to our house and install it.

Well, I am very happy I don't have to go to court.  Even better, is that they are going to install it so we don't have to pay for that again.  My one general complaint with customer service -- and not just in this instance -- is that no one gets back to you to tell you what's going on.  Had they just reached back to us at one point and said "Don't worry, we're getting you another door and will have someone replace yours," there would have been a whole lot less anxiety.

At this point, they can take as long as they want to install the new door.  Now that I know we're getting a replacement, I'm in no hurry.  I am in a hurry for our contracting boys to get back to finish painting the windows and stain the wood.  Hopefully that will happen soon too!

Comments

  1. And we are supposed to be living in the communication era... Sigh... Everybody is talking about CRM and yet nobody has figured out, it requires very basic skills first and foremost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had almost always served in a service capacity through my career. I learned that people appreciated you calling to say "I haven't got this for you yet, but it is being addressed." Sometimes I would have to be brave and tell them nobody was working on their issue -- but I was continuing to pester. I had clients who weren't always happy with the product, but were almost always happy with me. Even if it's not pleasant, people in service should still be willing to keep the customer updated. I'd rather have someone informed than pissed and ready to walk away. That should be basic!

      Delete
  2. Everyone is happy to take money for products but when those products don't live up to what they state sometimes it takes persistence to get a replacement. Glad you don't have to go to court!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were I working, that would have been a major hassle -- but still quite inconvenient with my available time. I am glad I don't have to do it!

      Delete
  3. This is my number one customer service complaint, lack of follow though. Oddly, there seems to be no sense of accountability in any CS situation, from a Big Box store to a local craftsman. The independent person lacking customer service skills surprises me. I don't understand how they stay in business. It is sad. The saddest thing to me in customer service issues is having to explain to grocery check out staff what a zucchini is or what parsnips are so they can ring it up. Too many microwaved box dinners and fast food. The next generation: I wonder what rise in digestive tract cancers will be from unhealthy, unvaried diets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. My pet peeve at the grocery store... clerks who put your produce right on top of raw meat! IMO, no on thinks through their actions and the implications on the step beyond their sale/particular tasks. The world is in a hurry to get on to the next thing, forget about what they promised or sold the day before!

      Delete

Post a Comment