Painted Grey!

We returned from vacation today and the bedroom had been painted.  There are still a few loose ends to tie up.  This is the color, which I am very pleased with.  The bedspread is new, purchased from QVC (on clearance) right before we left.  I ordered a King, forgetting that we swapped our bed out for a new mattress which I believe is a California King.  Hopefully washing in cold water will prevent any sort of shrinkage.  There are two king sized shams I didn't put out. There are no "show pillows" on our beds.  If we're not going to rest our heads on them, they aren't worth the space!

The new ceiling fan is a huge improvement.  The black color fits in well with the hanging lamps and the iron bed post.  The room is dark and the walls are a matte finish, so a shiny gold or silver fixture made no sense.  While the style gives a more masculine vibe to the room, the furniture balances it out.  Besides, TBG is not a frilly sort of guy.

The Edison bulbs aren't really bright and to truly illuminate the room, all of the lamps need to be switched on.  This doesn't bother TBG, as he hated the glare of the old bright lights and the light colored walls.  Methinks he will be much more comfortable in the room now -- which was the goal.

This is the way the bedspread I picked was styled on the QVC website.  I looked past the bright and airy backdrop and pictured our darker vibe.  For accents in fabric, I'll probably go with some dark denim, blue bandannas, etc.  It will change a little at a time as I find things to add.

We'll spend the next week finishing little things up and culling what was in the room so not as much clutter makes it way back in.  Over all, I am happy with the color choice and think we'll have managed this face lift for under $500.  We can't swing any big project this year, so I'll have to be content with a few small changes.

What do you think?

Comments


  1. It is very dramatic. Nice choices. I really dislike glaring lights, too, even though I like lots of light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I spent a little more than planned, but am happy with the result. I was going to paint the furniture, but the dark wood looks decent now that the walls are dark too.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on show pillows. To me, they are a nuisance. Especially when I see people dumping them on the floor at night. No matter what, I do not want to place something on my bed once it is on the floor. Enjoy your "new" bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cringe whenever I see a bed half full of pillows. So dumb!

      Delete
  3. Very nice. We watch tv in the bedroom sometimes so lots of pillows are a must. I ordered king sized pillows and those bloody things are soooooo hard to get into the cases (king size cases). Sometimes it just takes a coat of paint to perk things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We no longer have a television in the bedroom, but having a room this dark certainly would help. I'm thinking of a way to cover up the ugly c-pap machine, that puts out light that I could do without.

      Delete
    2. I deleted Lorraine's comment by mistake. Sorry lunch lady!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, so much more so than the light blue. Who needs a bright bedroom?

      Delete
  5. Very atmospheric and cosy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you had a grey room that sorta inspired me...

      Delete

Post a Comment