Counter Job

The counter to the right side of our sink needed to be re-grouted.  Having successfully tackled the area on the opposite side, I was prepared to get the job done.  A majority of the surface is protected by the microwave and the grout looked fine, but I couldn't see having two different grouts on the entire counter top, so I removed it all.  This is how horrible it looked before I started.
The result was very good.  The trickiest part was finishing the tiles on the front and sides.  Gravity is a bitch.  I ran out of grout just as I completed the surface, so I had to buy another tub.  This portion also addressed the area in back of the sink, which had gotten really gross because of the water that accumulates there.  This side was not as easy as the other side, although I didn't have to give it a second coat of grout because I learned that lesson on the other side!

I am very pleased with how it turned out.  One thing I resolved to tackle, was the clutter that was living on top of the microwave.  We have a plethora of meds, supplements, sugar cubes, and more.  There is not nearly enough cabinet or storage space to meet our needs.

This hanging pantry organizer is mounted on the back of the door leading to our basement.  It has enabled me to remove a lot of clutter.  Not only have I cleared the top of the microwave, but also some crap that was living on another counter. It was well worth the thirty bucks I spent at Walmart!  The only thing, is that I need to be mindful of it when I am carting laundry baskets up and downstairs.

This is how horrible the space used to be.  The new look is  much nicer.

Comments

  1. That looks beautiful. Tommy's bathroom counter has 1' tiles and the grout is gross. I won't even put anything down in there. I hold stuff or put it in my pocket. What product by name did you use to clean the grout? What product by brand name did you use to seal the grout or whatever you did? I would really need the product name since I have not had tiles anywhere since 1967. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used a dremel with a special drill bit for removing grout. Once the grout was out, I applied new grout. You do that the same way you would if you were tiling for the first time. After 24 hours I used Miracle Sealants GRT. It comes in a plastic bottle with an applicator cap, but I used my own small paintbrush as the sealer has gotten the applicator brush pretty stiff. I've had that for a while. It never hurts to reseal your grout yearly (after you give it a good scrub).

      This project was much more involved than just cleaning, but it also saved me a ton of money. A new counter is not in our budget and paying someone would have cost a couple of hundred dollars at the very least.

      I will have to go down the basement and see what brand grout I used, but it is a sand/cement product. It's not a rubbery/vinyl type -- which they used before and I think held on to a lot of mold and scum. Yuck!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a big difference! We just noticed we need to do some recaulking in our bathroom and kitchen, it never seems to end with houses. Great storage solution too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so disgusting before and I wish that I'd done it sooner! I've wasted so much time scrubbing grout, that I wish I had that time back!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment