Pie Time

Thanksgiving is pie time.  Of all the annual holidays, it is the one that we most strongly associate with pie.  In our house, the two stand-by pies are apple and pumpkin.  Growing up, my mom and paternal grandmother also made minced-meat pie.  Not being a big fan of that, and having a husband who has a great dislike of dark raisins, it's not even a consideration.  This year, there were just four of us and three pies were too many, but one large can of pumpkin puree makes two pies, so two it was!

This is a pie from a few weeks ago.  I am showing it to illustrate how I keep my pies fresh and avoid using plastic wrap or aluminum foil.  Hey, it's only a small environmentally conscious step, but it's something!

This year, I mistakenly used bread flour for my crust -- I just reached for the wrong bag.  They turned out just fine! The dough was mixed on the weekend and pressed into plates.  I did cover each shell with plastic and then nested one pie plate/crust on top of another.  The top crust was put on a pizza pan, wrapped well, and the pie plates set above it.  I kept them in the fridge until Wednesday, when all I had to do, was make filling and then fill them up to bake.  That worked really well.  I had made up biscuit dough over the weekend, but waited until right before the big meal to bake them.

I did two new things with this pie that I am going to be doing from this point forward.  Rather than brushing the top with egg white, I used buttermilk.  The top was nicely browned and crisped. I've heard that using regular milk would work too.  In addition, I sprinkled the top with coarsely granulated sugar.  That makes the look and sure adds a nice sweet crunch to the taste.  Don't worry about the extra calories -- there is no sugar in the filling, so this extra amount is only nominal.  But it adds big flavor!

In the spring and summer, I'm going to try to make a fresh lemon meringue pie.  But for this time of year, my two stand-by pies are fine.

Comments

  1. Will you share your pressed pie crust recipe? I had one, but as with most of my things, it is gone. I want one that is tried and true. I thought I was the only person who turned bowls over things to keep them fresh! But, I don't have enough bowls for many bowls. I even wonder if the bowls I bought will go over a pie crust. Mama made seven pumpkin pies and one apple and maybe a cherry if my brother was going to be around. Cherry was his favorite. If I make a pie in the summer, it is still pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use a specific recipe because I am lazy, but it's generally around one to one and a half sticks of butter or lard (usually a mix) to two to two and a half cup flour. I use a food processor, putting in the flour in and then adding a teaspoon of salt. Minimally, I need seven tablespoons of very cold water (I dispense a full cup of water with ice from the fridge). I'm satisfied with the crust after pulsing it makes it into pebbles that mostly stick together. Then I shape it into a ball and wrap in plastic to refrigerate for at least a half hour before rolling it out. I only press it out if I have miscalculated and I can't roll it without it sticking to the board. Also I bake at 425 for 25 minutes, then turn it down to 377 for another 20.

      This all isn't very precise, so I am constantly amazed when they turn out! Sorry it's not really "tried and true," but it's the basic process I always follow.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I don't have a food processor.

      Delete
    3. If you have a pastry cutter, you'll do just fine! That was what I've used for years and just started with the food processor recently because I am lazy.

      Delete
  2. The upside down bowl as a cover is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment