Canine Cancer Update

It was an expensive vet visit this month.  In addition to the normal CBC we have drawn to track pup's cell counts, we did a serum blood panel.  That was an extra $123!  The vet wanted to do it after six months to see how her organs are holding up.  Partially, that is due to her cancer, but also because of the skin medication we are keeping her on.  The results were fine.  There are a few elevated levels -- Creatine, Calcium and two liver enzymes.  These are each just a few points above the accepted high range, so I am not going to freak out about them.  I will make a few tweaks to her diet, but some of these things are expected (like the high calcium), on account that she has cancer.  Now, you wouldn't know there was anything amiss by looking at her, would you?

We've mixed up her summer exercise.  She has this annoying habit of playing keep away when she brings her water toy back to me.  This includes prancing back and forth and purposely barking in my face -- even if I try to turn from her and ignore her.  People passing by think it's cute. For me, it's highly annoying.  Now I put her in the water near a long dock/walkway, then walk along the shore dangling her toy.  She swims along shore to follow me.  Look who is playing keep away now!  This is great exercise for her because there is no impact.  She can swim about 1/4 of a mile against the current -- which sometimes is quite strong!


Poor girlie would complain about her week, not getting a lot of exercise with mommy.  She also got a bath with a full blow-out, which she detests.  After a weekend at camp with Daddy, she smelled a bit off and there was quite a lot of sand in her coat.  I'll give her one thorough bath at a local dog bathing business once between grooming sessions.  The plus was that she looked very good for her doctor's appointment, garnering praise and attention in the waiting room.  After her appointment, I took her to visit a friend we hadn't seen in a while -- so she had some fun after her scary experience.

Teddy's now on an every other month schedule.  Her vet is going out on maternity and wants to see her right before she goes, which will make for a slightly shorter window.  While she is out, she said our regular vet can do the exam -- which works out well since we are due to have her annual check-up.  We'll be back with the oncologist in October/November.  At the rate we are going, I don't think anything alarming will pop up.

I continually remind myself that we should be encouraged by this.  Our last dog died from the rupture of a cancerous tumor we had no idea existed.  Teddy is showing her age some, and she has her issues, but I still expect to have her for a couple more years.  Not enough, but I'll take it!


Comments

  1. I am glad things are OK about Teddy. She is so cute and a great buddy for you guys. Wishing her a healthy and long life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a big girl like her, anything over ten is considered bonus. But I do wish for two or three more years!

      Delete
  2. She looks great to me and I hope she has many more years of aggravating you with her toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right and that is what I do my best to remember. The prankster side means she feels good!

      Delete
  3. So glad things are going well with Teddy, she looks gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. She really does look good, she’s a beauty and I can understand your worry, we had a cancerous tutor removed from our dog and he lived to a good age, it never really left my thoughts to be honest, once touched by cancer whether human or canine it leaves its mark, the worry softens but never really leaves us I don’t think at least it didn’t for me, but our fella lived a good long life happy and healthy to his end and passed in his sleep, I wish the same for teddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and me too. We were all at a party this weekend and met a vet. Teddy ran right up to her for a hug. The lady gave me a horrified look when she felt her neck -- we told her not to worry, we were already aware of what it was and that she is doing well. Everyone had a grand time and Teddy enjoyed it the most of all. That does soften the worry. The disease is there, but she's got the upper hand (or paw!).

      Delete
  5. She is a pretty dog and does look healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think her blond color is helping her age well too. I want to be that feisty when I am her age in people years!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for up date on Teddy, a lovely dog and family.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so kind, and it is amazing how much a happy animal uplifts your life.

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear Teddy is doing so well. As with humans this is the cost of aging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the oncologist really is making a difference on her disease, but taking care of yourself when you have a condition like this means keeping informed. I still don't regret not having pet insurance, as I am not certain a lot of what we've paid for over the years would be covered.

      Delete
  8. Teddy looks great and I'm happy to hear her test results were good. Vet visits are always expensive unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of dog/cat people think they know more than the vet and that going is a rip-off, but when I read what the oncologist has studied and done, I can see that her education was worth it for all of us to be paying for. And if it does end up giving more time with my girl, it's worth it!

      Delete
  9. Alex, I am so encouraged for you re the pup! This is thanks to the excellent diet and lifestyle you've provided for your sweet girl...actually all the dogs I've read about here. I hate that parrots live 75 years and dogs for 12-15. My girl Lulu is getting up there, but is still her sweet self. God sent us her young sister, an abused pure bred Rottweiler. I won't go into sad detail here, but I almost got arrested over it. And I'm a law enforcement officer myself.
    My husband, another TBG, held me so I couldn't move. Maddie had abscesses all over her vertebrae due to being shoved for hours and hours in a too-small crate. We've got her now and I feel like she was sent to her forever home here to pep up her older sister. Puppies have their challenges, though, and this one loves to chew up bed linen ARRRRG! She loves to watch TV (never had a dog that did this) and, sadly, she HATES Al Roker on the Today Show. And he is such a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how sweet of you to have taken her in! They are very resilient and rotties are so sweet, in spite of their "reputation." I think Mr. Roker annoys a lot of people ;-) so maybe it's not so odd. I think she has a wonderful life ahead of her -- which her big sister will surely help her see!

      Delete
  10. Teddy looks wonderful! I'm happy she got a good report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as a test doesn't include intelligence, she's pretty good at getting a good score! I am glad this is not the exception. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment