Cheap Switch

These brass switch-plates are located throughout the house. Someone was impressed enough about that to make this fact a part of the property listing when we bought the place.  Not sure what made them such a big deal, but someone thought they were high end.  We just thought they were the wrong color for our bedroom once it was painted dark grey.

Trying to keep costs to a minimum, I opted to spray paint and re-use the plates rather than buying new.

The results are fine for now, but eventually, I think it will be worth it to buy new plates.  I figure a new set for the room will run about forty bucks if I buy the pewter finish I really like.  But what better reason to make due for now with a much cheaper alternative?  This solution cost just pennies and will do in a pinch!

Comments

  1. Those look nice. I think I would not replace any of them, just paint. Those brass plates would not be my idea of high-end. My favorite bedroom switch plates were porcelain and very old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This house does have old crystal door knobs, and I think that's worth noting in a real estate listing. Yours must really be valuable as I haven't seen those being sold anywhere new.

      Delete
  2. What used to be upgrades just seem dated now, great fix. We had plastic grates for our heating which we both hated but didn't change out until year 2 of living here...love the new metal ones (pewter colour)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We replaced many of our heating vents with metal too. Most were already metal but painted white -- with many many coats, making them pretty ugly. TBG gets those at cost, which helps!

      Delete

Post a Comment