Million Dollar Dog

We have had a difficult month or so with our baby.  For most of the summer, we wrestled with skin issues.  Generally, these clear up once the hot days of summer pass.  We've not been so lucky lately.  Instead, we are dealing with hot spot after hot spot, along with an odd growing bald spot on her tummy.  The only slightly amusing thing about this, is her new nick-name of Pizza Head.  It's been hard for us to find a method to impede her ability to either lick her hind leg (there's a spot there) or scratch her face, I found a solution: a neck-rest pillow topped with a pizza Halloween costume.  The latter wasn't something I sought out -- I came across it on a clearance rack at Michael's and thought that at $1.75, it was worth a try.  Paired with the pillow, it's working well. I am glad I purchased two!

After going through a couple of cycles of antibiotics and increasing her dose of skin/allergy meds, during which, she also had a very positive yearly exam where the vet stated he was very happy with her over-all health.   Finally, last week, I'd had enough.  We went back to the vet.  He bumped her up to a higher dose of antibiotics -- 750mg of Cephalexin, twice a day.  He gave me a prescription for a generic to fill at our pharmacy because I also requested an injection of a drug I knew would be super expensive.  Cytopoint is an injectible that the oncologist recommend and also told us would be the only drug she could use if on chemo.  Our past use of Apoquel ($2 per pill) was more affordable and had been working well. But it becomes less effective over time. At two pills a day, with repeated vet visits, maybe not the cheaper alternative after all!
 
In addition to the vet visits, we were following up with a prescription shampoo to be used weekly.  This was employed at the local self-service dog wash (where I can do a better job and blow out her coat).  On Mondays, a wash is $10.50 ($12.50 other days of the week).  She also got a grooming ($80) using that shampoo (done every six weeks).  The groomer noticed her bald spot and noted her skin felt dry.  That was what convinced me to go back to the vet.

The injection of Cytopoint cost us $117; and that didn't include the exam charge ($56).  We also left with a tub of anti-microbial wipes ($25) and a sulfur-based cream ($17).  The entire visit was $215.78.  The vet wants her back in two weeks to see how she's doing.  We are electing to have him do her lymphoma monitoring blood draw.  A visit to the oncologist will set us back $156 and was schedule for the same week.

Fortunately, the oncologist is OK with our plan this time. Going forward, I will bring her to whichever vet is cheaper for the shot of Cytopoint.  If the practice where we go for oncology is cheaper, we'll have her shot done during her cancer check.  If our regular vet is cheaper, we'll just drop in for the shot when it's due.

The shot needs to be given every four to eight weeks.  I am hoping we can make it eight weeks now that summer has passed.  We can supplement it with Benadryl without fearing a negative interaction.  I want to be optimistic about this new drug, which is supposed to disable the message sent to the brain that it feels the need to scratch. It should block the sense if itch/irritation and work within 24 hours.  She had the injection almost a week ago, and since then, without the indignity of the pizza barrier on, she's scratched off the scab on her face twice.  Argh!

We can't for the life of us, figure out what is causing her skin to erupt, but the vet believes her challenged immune system, due to the cancer, is at the root.  On the up-side, he thinks her over-all state of health is remarkable; he's not had a patient look so good nine months post-diagnosis.  So, we have that thought to comfort us. Oh yeah, and she is strong enough to have totally pulled me down, causing a very embarrassing fall, simply because she had to greet a mail carrier we met on our walk yesterday.

Why am I sharing this?  It's because this is the financial reality of owning a dog.  In spite of our best efforts to keep her healthy (which I believe we have done and are still doing), there is no such thing as an impenetrable shield.  Cancer sucks, and it will attack even the healthiest body.  Pets get sick, and that costs money.  This is not my way of saying we should have gotten pet insurance, because I don't think those policies are worth it.   But it is my way of saying that when you decide to have a pet in your life, you must be prepared to either pay for health care when needed, or possibly face saying good-bye to your pet if you can't afford it.  I love my dog dearly (I think that is evident), but I would not go into deep debt to keep her alive.

Going forward, if we solve the hot spot issue, we can expect to have to stay on the injectible, as well as expect to use the shampoo, wipes, and cream.  Two week's of antibiotics were $20.  The vet thinks we will want to use them for four weeks.

This has been frustrating and painful for all of us -- physically for her, mentally and emotionally for me and The Big Guy.  I don't know what the future has in store for her, but whatever it is, I expect it will be expensive.

Comments

  1. I wish everyone with a dog or thinking of getting a dog could read this. My little shih tzu had Cushings disease, and I spent a fortune on her. It seems like every dog I've had has had some issue that costs a LOT of money. Just to keep them up-to-date on vet visits and vaccines is expensive. I know people who have dogs that I feel certain have never seen a vet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a lot of unpopular conversations with people who didn't earn enough to support themselves, saying I thought that meant it was a good indication they should not get a pet. One guy knocked on my door at our old house wanting help for his deathly ill and malnourished dog -- who I could tell was dying of thyroid and kidney failure just by looking at. He took him to the SPCA asking for free vet help and was astonished that his only recourse was to relinquish the dog. He refused and they told him that he was near the point of being charged with neglect for not getting him health care. He asked me, does that mean only wealthy people get to own pets? The answer is the only people who should own an animal, are those who can afford to care for them. Don't get me started on hoarders... But then again, we both sing in the same choir!

      Delete
  2. God bless and keep your sweet girl. And positive waves of energy to you and TBG for being such caring and responsible dog owners. I currently have two "dump jobs" into our neighborhood who adopted us. Both of them were very poorly treated before they came here. The first pup is the best dog we've ever had. It took her years to get over her abuse. We are still working with a 2 year old pure bred Rottie who was left in a too small cage so often that she has permanent damage to her back legs and scarring on her back. I am so thankful that there are still wonderful dog owners like you both out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. I just hope we can get to the bottom of the skin issue. I don't want to fight the cancer, only to find we lose her so soon to something like this. That includes making the terrifying "quality of life" decision I don't even want to think about. I am certain positive energy, prayer, positive thoughts, any all the rest help!

      Delete
  3. About 40 years ago, I got a free Border Collie from the bed of a pickup truck at a flea market. She was as close as being purebred as you can get. The bratty little boy behind my neighbors got him into their yard all the time despite my objections. His mother said, "But, he loves your dog so much." Eventually, I found my dog dead in front of their house in the road. I swore I would never get another dog until I had a fence. I never have had a dog since then. I knew it was not a responsible thing to do to have a dog that could leave the yard. I had never had a dog before. Well, when I was married, my son had a dog. But, this dog was mine and loved me. I felt like I was responsible for killing him. Now, I don't have the energy for a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how horrible for you! TBG doesn't want another one after Teddy because he says he can't stand the pain of losing another dog. Border Collies really bond to their person, which leaves such a big void when they are gone.

      Delete
  4. She's such a gorgeous girl and so very lucky to have such wonderful parents. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing everything humanly possible to care for Teddy and that is truly admirable. Not everyone can afford to go that route which makes me think that's why so many pets get dumped. Vet care is really expensive. Our Muffin's last month of life cost us close to $1000, which included her cremation. We hoped for a good outcome, but it just didn't happen. That's why we hesitated getting another pet, but once we saw our little Manny, we had to take him in. The love and joy of having a great pet makes it all worth it. That being said, I probably should start a vet savings account now. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that saving to buy Teddy is one of the things that kick-started us to having a savings account which we hadn't had for years. At one point we had two cats and a dog, and now I don't think it is wise to have more than one pet at a time because of the potential expense. But then again, I don't want to put a price tag on love!

      Delete
  6. Dog (any animal really other than a fish or hamster) can be super costly. Buddy has his own line on our budget and we are at $3068 for the year so far. Only $1300 was his dislocated hip vet visits, the rest is just normal grooming every 5 weeks (hair needs cutting versus fur), a sitter when we are away, food, flea meds etc. After he dislocated his hip I rejigged our budget to make sure there was enough money, which included less entertainment for us. His health is more important than us eating out in a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! What I have learned from knowing vets is that rodents, like a hamster, will run you about the same in vet bills and people tend to be really mad about that. Then again, it takes just as long to examine them and their medication is often more specialized. Then again, we run up a higher bill because Teddy's dosing does need to be bigger. I had a friend who took really good care of her family's hamsters and spent quite a bit of money if they weren't healthy. I actually really respected that.

      I am glad Buddy is doing so well after his orthopedic misadventure!

      Delete

Post a Comment