Scones

We love scones! A box of Wegmans mini scones is about three and a half bucks. Panera's scones sell for around $2.50 each.  In an effort to save money and have a healthier version, we make our own.  This batch took under 40 minutes to bake.  It was made using one cup of white and one cup of whole wheat pastry flour.   For flavor, there are craisins, pecans, almonds and orange zest.  Yum!

This batch was baked in the early morning hours.  Do you get up and bake when you can't sleep?  This batch was a breakfast solution -- and an insomnia cure.  After tossing and turning for a couple of hours, struggling with a cramped hand, the goal was to get up, get out of  bed, move around a bit, then give sleep a second chance.  They were started at around 4:40 and out of the oven by 5:10AM.

It worked!  The scones were delicious and this wired old lady was able to get to sleep.

Comments

  1. Share your recipe? I've only made scones once and they turned out tasty but didn't look like scones. I am off to make cranberry banana pineapple muffins now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't really follow recipes, but here's an approximation:

      2 cups flour (self rising if you have it, if not all purpose is fine, just add 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt)
      1/4 cup sugar
      3/4 cup buttermilk
      7 tbs butter or lard
      handful of craisins
      orange zest

      I put the dry ingredients in a bowl with a hollowed out center, cut in the butter/lard (make sure it's cold), pour the buttermilk into the center slowly, mix, add more, etc.

      Once the dough is combined, I roll it out then fold it in quarters, then roll again. I repeat this a few times. Then I cut into triangles, brush with buttermilk, then bake on parchment at 375 for about 20 minutes. I cook in the convection oven.

      I vary the recipe based on the type of flour, the ingredients I have on hand, etc.

      When it comes to cooking/baking, I'm a real hack -- I just throw things together! Your muffins sound good too!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't tell how many post in December I seen about scones. I just need to make a patch up.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scones are completely different to English ones and served with coffee? It's always tea in the UK! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when I am sick, I do prefer scones with tea (one of my favorite comfort treats). Actually I really like them with tea anytime. Most weekends, TBG gets up before I do and puts the coffee on and I am happy to drink that too!

      I will have to look into English scones and make some as well. I've never met a scone I didn't like...

      Delete

Post a Comment