About the Pup

A lapse in posting over the past few days can be explained by some news affecting our adorable pup.  After posting about our successful self-serve bathing experience, we find we have some sad news to report.  Well, we are hoping it doesn't turn out to be too sad.

We found a lump beneath Teddy's jaw a few days ago.  Being conscientious pet owners, an immediate appointment was made and the pup saw the vet on January 2nd.  Unfortunately, after aspirating the lump and waiting for slides to be reviewed, we've been advised her growth is a cancerous tumor.  That's thrown us for a bit of a loop.

What is less horrible, is the type of cancer it appears to be:  a Lymphoma that is categorized as "T-Zone," with abnormal B-Cells showing up.  Apparently, this type of disease has a better prognosis with treatment that cancers that affect T-Cells.  The vet who did the fluid aspiration conferred with an oncologist, who advised we send the samples to a pathologist -- which in our case is Cornell University.  Once the samples are analyzed, the oncologist will be better able to determine a course of treatment. At first we were going to have the tumor removed, but was advised that this might not be necessary.

At this point, we believe we will treat.  At 11, she is older, but otherwise super healthy.  Her blood work and urinalysis was perfect.  We contacted her breeder, who is also a vet tech.  She wants to be kept apprised of the condition and treatment, and was glad that we let her know.  Teddy's father is no longer alive -- he was born in 1999, but he sired many good dogs.  His offspring have been such a success, that our breeder had some of his sperm frozen so it could be used for future litters.  She's putting that on hold.  Now she will see how Teddy fares and if other dogs from his line show up with this cancer.  Unlike the cancer that took our last dog (Hemangiosarcoma) this form of cancer is not known to be hereditary.  But good breeders don't take chances and they want to know of any serious health concerns in their lines.

Some cancers can be treated and lead to an extended lifespan of months, but this type of cancer can be in remission for a couple of years.  At her age, that's good.  Dogs also handle chemotherapy better than humans do.  So, we have both of these things in our favor.  Also, while there are multiple lymph nodes in a dog's body, only one seems to be affected so far.

We will not know the pathology results for a week or so.  She is doing just fine -- showing no signs of any sort of sickness or discomfort.

Please send positive thoughts and prayers out for our girl.  We need her around for at least a couple more years!

Comments

  1. Oh dear. I am so sorry to hear this. Our first dog Coco had a lump on her jaw that was cancer. We were never told what kind it was, only that treatment would have been to remove her jaw. We were not willing to do that and we were not able to afford expensive chemo. She was 10. I hope Teddy fares well with treatment. Sweet baby. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Coco and how special she was! Ten seems to be "the age." Our Woody was the same age when the tumor in her spleen broke. There was no cure for that although we were ready to do surgery. At least treatment for this form seems optimistic and there are holistic approaches too. Thanks for the hugs!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this, keeping everything crossed for a positive outcome. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix. We don't have any two-leggers so I am pretty dependent on my dog to give me someone other that TBG to fuss over!

      Delete
  3. Dear Alex, I typically lurk, but I am praying for your girl. I know how you love her and I would feel like I had a big lump in my stomach if I had the same kind of news about our Lulu or our Maddie. Our beliefs are different, but I will pray from the Psalms which say that the Lord protects both man and beast. I pray right now for a wonderful outcome and that you and TBG are blessed with peace at a difficult time. Hugs to you both and I'm so sorry to hear of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Annie. We are fortunate to have so many people who care. I appreciate your coming out of lurk mode for my baby girl.

      Delete
  4. Oh Alex, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is when a fur baby gets a diagnosis like that - been through it many times. The weight of responsibility gets awfully heavy when you have to make decisions for one who can't decide for herself. I know you'll do right by Teddy, and I'm sure she'll let you know what she needs. In the meantime, I have no doubt that she knows how deeply she is loved, and ultimately, loving them is all we can really do. Bug hugs to you, Teddy, and TBG. xoxoxo -Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am just eager to get with an oncologist but we have a vacation coming up and also haven't gotten the pathologists report yet. I've already started putting together a nutritional treat using mushroom powder. I know how much you've been through with ill pets. It sucks -- but it's nice to know so many care about her.

      Delete
  5. Prayers for Teddy, you and TBG. My heart was racing as I read this. I'm hoping and praying for the best possible outcome. I lost my little shih tzu (Kenzie) to cancer in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannie. We are trying to stay calm -- after all, we still want to enjoy being with her. She is totally unaware and unaffected!

      Delete

Post a Comment