Never Enough Room

Down-sizing was a good thing for us, however never have enough space.  Our master bedroom is a prime example.  While taking pictures from certain angles makes it appear we are neat, the truth is we are bursting at the seams.  Isn't this open rack of clothing in front of the window attractive? I think I probably shot around that when I posted about putting those curtains up.   So  now I am coming clean!

The rack is from Walmart, and it is really meant for shoes.  The "shelves" are fabric.  I put it together as a double-width so it would not block the window.  The left side is more open on purpose -- there is a heating vent on the wall at the end that shouldn't be blocked.

Aren't our cluttered dressers nice?  Well, that stuff really has nowhere else to live.  TBG needs a place to keep his meds, watches, and pocket clutter.  Once a week, I make a half-hearted attempt to pile it neatly.  But let's face it, it's a pile of clutter.  The bed is covered in a sheet to make it easier to deal with dog hair!

The basket shown on the left is a vast improvement over the pile of clothes that TBG stacked there.  There are pieces he doesn't quite fit into (but he's been working on that, and doing pretty well).  He doesn't want to take up precious drawer/closet space (and the closets in this house are tiny), so he's set them aside.  Under the bed isn't an option -- that space is already claimed!

Our laundry baskets hide in that corner too.  At least they aren't visible from the doorway.  Looking in from the hall isn't as atrocious an experience now that the wire basket is there.

While we'd really like a "decorated" bedroom, this is a lower priority.  We might get around to slapping a coat of paint on it, but until we can knock down the back wall and make the room three feet deeper to allow built-in storage, we'll forever be short on space.  At least if I can keep the room clean, it doesn't totally look like a college kid's bedroom.

When guests come, we just close the door!


Comments

  1. I always say to Jon that we're like Koi carp, it wouldn't matter how palatial our home, we'd always manage to fill it with crap! Your bedroom looks cosy and neat. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good analogy. I still feel like we live a lot like college students!

      Delete
  2. I am familiar with the "bursting at the seams" issue. I've been purging this week trying to wrangle our bedroom closet into some shape. It's starting to happen, just need to find some baskets to help with the issue. Your bedroom doesn't look too cluttered, just lived in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wanted to spend more money, I'd probably be able to make it look like something. But as Vix posted, then whatever solution I purchased would fill up and we'd be back in the same place. Yeah, when you have a small house, all of it is lived in!

      Delete
  3. I live in a small two bedroom (about 940 sq.ft) apartment. Lately all I have been doing is declutter, declutter, declutter... Seems like one can never get rid of enough stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first stopped working, I did that a lot and I need to get back to it! I focus so much on cleaning and getting regular chores done but this is something I need to get back to again. You are definitely disciplined!

      Delete
  4. I would not post pictures of my bedroom for a million dollars! I have a very hard time getting rid of stuff, but no problem at all bringing home new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish this was a room we could "decorate." It seems so simple, but there are too many little things that need to be tackled. I'm just satisfied that I vacuum it a couple of days a week and that it gets dusted regularly too!

      Delete
  5. After reading your blog. It a friendly reminder I need to get back on down sizing and such.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment