Party Mix - Beyond Chex

The Save-a-Lot store brand version of Cheerios is pretty awful.  I had forgotten that and purchased a box.  After a couple of bowls, it was determined that it wasn't worth eating.  Loath to throw good food away, a recycling plan was hatched: party mix.  This batch was made with cereal, whole wheat crackers, unsalted peanuts, pretzel thins, raisins/craisins, oil, butter, dry onion soup mix, salt, and soy sauce.  Traditional party mix calls for ranch dressing mix, so a little bit of actual salad dressing was mixed in as well.

The mix was baked at 350 for forty-five minutes, getting shuffled around at the mid-point.  The resulting product was very tasty.  It was also a whole lot less salty than store-bought party mix.  Best of all, most of the ingredients where whole grain; the pretzels being the one exception.

This was stored in a zippy bag to keep it fresh.  It provided handfuls of tasty crunchy goodness in a pinch as well as a viable pre-dinner, movie time and lunch time snack.

This was a great way to use of cereal we really didn't like!

Comments

  1. That's a creative solution! I hate to waste food too. Once I had bought very hot green peppers by mistake. My uncle told me to pickle them. I used my grandma's method. First I boiled them in a half water, half vinegar solution for about 3-4 minutes. Then I put them in a jar of fresh vinegar, water and salt solution with garlic cloves. After a week or so, the peppers were actually very edible and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good save! Food waste makes me feel so guilty -- not just because people are starving elsewhere, but because landfills are full of rotting food too.

      Delete
  2. That looks tasty - hubby loves snacks like that. I've never tried making my own mix though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We snack on a lot of popcorn (air popped), and this was a nice change!

      Delete

Post a Comment