Canine Cancer Update - April

We had our April visit with the Oncologist yesterday and the girlie is doing well.  Her cancer is progressing, but still at a fairly slow rate.  Most of her lymph nodes are showing very minor changes in size, however the one under her chin on the left side has gotten larger.  It doesn't seem to bother her, but she now is very competent at snoring.

The past few weeks have seen some pretty good sales on vitamins at Rite Aid, which when also combined with a $4 off $20 coupon has enabled me to get her stock of turmeric and folate replenished.  They also sell an organic mushroom blend supplement which is being discontinued.  60 capsules are $6.49.  The powder I'd started her on had a very similar blend and 100 servings is around twenty-five bucks.  That's a large savings per serving.  After finding the reduction at one store, I went to another and found two more bottles.  I'll be hitting all of the Rite Aid stores in our area to find as many bottles on clearance that I can.  A friend is being sent fish oil monthly by the VA and they won't stop, even though he's asked them to.  They won't take the supplements back either.  He's passing them on to us, which is helping us save bit more.

Teddy is also back in the water, which is pretty amazing as large ice floes are still making their way from Lake Erie down the Niagara River.  The cold doesn't bother her.  She's still got a lot of energy and a real zest for romping, running and swimming.   Her appetite is still non-stop too.  These are all things greatly in her favor.

We are noticing that she has begun to look like the senior dog she is, but that's to be expected at 11.  If she gets a little stiff after a particularly active day, one baby aspirin seems to help.   She does seem to have a little bit more of a challenge jumping up on our bed (which is higher than average).  Although she doesn't need steps yet, we'll probably have our guy Jimmy make some.

I'm still very bummed and sad that my dear girl has developed cancer.  This has made me much more tolerant of some of her jerky behaviors.  As sweet as she looks, she's got a bratty side that seems to charm the pants off others, but can drive you crazy if you live with her.  So, I've been trying to see her quirks the way others do and appreciate what we have.   The median survival for this type of Lymphoma is often greater than two years -- even without chemo.  We don't know when it started or how much time she has left.   Not being able to be objective, we will start chemo when the vet advises us to -- but she doesn't seem to think that will happen soon.  So for now, we will keep up with her raw diet, nutritional and herbal supplements, grooming, dental care, and as much exercise as she can manage.

Please keep sending your thoughts and prayers our way -- our little family appreciates it so much!

Comments

  1. I was wondering about her the other day. Teddy and I could be swimming together since I like cold water too. Not with ice chunks though:) I wish her a long, healthy life. You are a good mommy and doing your best for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't get in the water with her until it's around 70 -- which freaks a lot of people out. I bet you don't think that's too cold either. A lot depends on the actual air temperature and if it's sunny or not. A cold swim on a warm day sure does feel great. I can't wait until we're all back in the water! I think this is all helping her stay healthier too.

      Delete
    2. I went in the water two weeks ago and it was 64 degrees F :) The swimming season is officially open.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear she's doing well. I don't envy you your journey, but it's great that you know you're doing everything possible for Teddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks healthy - sometimes you wonder if the averages are on less well taken care of pets. Anyway - enjoying her while you have her is the best that you can do. Sweet girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Daddy was out of town for a day and a half, and I could tell she didn't like that!

      Delete
  5. Awww, just look at her with her Dad, she looks so happy and content. Teddy's in safe hands. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear she's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have scary moments when she suddenly limps, or swallows something wrong, but then I have to remember she's older now and that will just naturally start happening. But she is doing well, thanks!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to hear your girl is doing so well. Not to preach at all, but the Bible says that God protects both man and beast. Also that God knows when a sparrow falls to the ground. So God, I pray that this sweet dog will continue doing so well. I pray for healing for her. I pray for a happy and energetic life until she goes back to be with You. Amen. (Hope that didn't offend.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment