Mrs. Mender

TBG is hard on his clothes.  When one of his favorite work sweatshirts was torn, he asked me to sew it back together for him.  As Haus Frau, this is one of my jobs.  Since he's a lefty, anything involving scissors is out.  He also has huge arthritic hands that couldn't manage the job.  
It was amazing to me that he only asked me to fix one spot, as I found quite a few others in need of help.  The surgical procedure actually took about an hour and a half.   This was a two-ply piece so it was stitched on the outside and the inside.  Aside from the two big spots on the arms, there were tons of other little holes starting to form.

These shirts are free -- vendors or his company provides them.  That doesn't mean we don't try to care for them and get as much use as possible.  Having a dirty job means his clothes are going to get beat up, which means they're going to need to be taken care of.  While I do well buying him stuff second hand, the work-horse pieces like this are worth maintaining -- and I'm happy to do so.

Lucky for me, he's not fashion-vain. Paisley patches don't bother him.  I've been setting aside remnants for specific pieces.  One donor piece will be used on any holes this pair of pants gets.  I've found that even if he has two pair of the same jeans, he'll wear one of them more. I think it's because I keep the more used pieces on top so that they can wear out first... I do the laundry and put it all away, which makes it easier for me to manipulate the frequency in which they are worn.  Also, I love upholstery fabric for mending his work jeans -- its more durable and wears a lot better than fashion cloth.


There was a huge tear out of the rise on the back side.  He hadn't even noticed it!  Every couple of washes, I check this particular pair and if I see something starting, I stitch it right away.  Then there are true clothing injuries -- I'm assuming he caught the cloth on something and tore it.  Since it was on his back side, he probably never noticed it.  Well, that's what I'm here for!


Comments

  1. Your mending is a work of art. I'm in complete agree with the pair of you, just because something is provided for free it doesn't mean it has to be replaced when it shows signs of wear especially when TBG has such a grubby job. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to work harder on doing some cute flower patterns or something with the thread. I've done that before and don't think he notices... but I know it's there! I will have to post some day about how we sometimes go places to run errands after work and I notice that people sometimes immediate dismiss us because he's in grubby work wear -- never mind that he earns a very good living and is one of the smartest people I know. The fact is, people put too much stock in status evoking clothing!

      Delete
  2. Lol, he only wanted you to fix the really big bit. He is very fortunate you check his clothes to make sure he doesn't have manly bits hanging out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He works with a bunch of guys that would probably joke about it behind his back but not tell him! So, it's good I check :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment