The Shirts on His Back

Out socializing with friends, I looked over at my husband, horrified to see his shirt had a small tear in the arm.  I mentioned it to him and he commented "but I like this shirt."  As if that was a good excuse to wear it out?  Of course, I mended the tear -- then set out to add a few more pieces in better condition to his wardrobe.  The torn shirt will be fine for camp and work.  These four found at the Salvation Army will fit in with his wardrobe -- and worth ten bucks or so I spent on them all.

I admittedly buy based on labels.  I know the brands which will last a long time and will fit in with TBGs tastes.  Any time I see good Eddie Bauer clothes in his size, I seize the opportunity to bring them home.  These were priced at $3.99 and sold at half price.  Why spend the same amount on Basic Edition -- the Walmart brand -- when you can buy better quality at the same price?  TBG wants only 100% cotton and can't wear anything that is fitted.

Imagine my surprise to find a Burberry shirt in his size!  It didn't appear to have ever been worn.  Knowing he had purchased one other shirt from them (in an emergency, at an outlet store), and by holding it up to the other extra large shirts, it seemed to be a safe bet.  Well, since it was $2.99, it was extra safe.  Thrifts don't over-price labels on men's clothing they way they do with women's.  This store also had a Burberry diaper bag behind the counter, marked $14.99.  Men don't care as much about labels as they do price.

One shirt had a hole in the back.  I didn't notice that until I got it home.  Repairing it was easy and the fix is not easy to see.  This was a Susquehanna Outfitters shirt -- not a brand I really look for.  I chose it because the material felt a lot like the shirt that TBG had torn, which I know he loves.  That shirt is one of his favorites because the material is so comfortable.  When he saw the one I found, the first thing he told me was that he really liked it because it felt like the other shirt!

These pieces were a huge hit.  Once the shirts were washed, the first one he grabbed was the darker Eddie Bauer.  He wore it to dinner for my birthday and I must say he looked good.  It's not easy for him to find the time to shop for clothes, and mostly it doesn't occur to him.  It's fun for me to find pieces for him that he likes and that I can get the vicarious pleasure of getting a good deal on.  And he's worth ten dollars in shirts, dammit!

Comments

  1. $2.99 for a Burberry shirt (or Burberry anything)! Wow!! And a belated happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I was very pleased to find that shirt for sure!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to you!! Jon absolutely loves secondhand shopping - he's got more clothes than me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy the ease you have stylishly clothing your fella. I go ga-ga over his footwear most especially. I have yet to succeed in finding 11.5EEEE shoes second hand!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! I just discovered a small hole kind of like the beginning of a run in my favorite green sweater. I will fix it to prolong it's life. On another note those shirts look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I am becoming a chronic mender too...

      Delete

Post a Comment