Beauty Bargains - and a Few Uglies

Dollar  Tree is my go-to source for facial/cleansing products.  This is an example of a recent haul.  Have you used Micellar cleansing water? It's a handy way to remove dirt without drying skin -- and it works well when you don't have water to rinse with.  It's not suited for heavy foundation or eye make-up, but it helps a lot after you've used cold cream to remove that.  I love it for camp because we have cramped and inefficient face-washing space in the RV.  The Cocoa butter face wipes will be pressed into use to wipe off the heavy stuff, as I don't keep cold cream at camp.  I go through a small tub of deep-conditioner at the pool every three weeks or so.  Buying it for a buck is a bargain.

One small splurge was the diamond silicone blending sponge.  I've used it at home and like it quite a bit -- so it won't be going to camp.  While I will wear eye make-up if we go out to dinner in Sodus, I don't bother with foundation.  I will keep some of the Micellar water at home and use it whenever I have any cosmetic gunk to remove.

This nice, bland shade of Revlon polish was just a buck too.  I've decided it is just not worth it to pay for a pedicure.  The last one I got, was ruined immediately.  As long as I can reach my toes, it will be a DIY job -- just don't look too closely!  One week the Sunday paper had a $1 Revlon nail product coupon.  I knew Dollar Tree had this shade, so it was mine for free.
While I envy the look of well polished pedicured toes, the sad reality is that I have ugly feet.  I've tried my best to help two ugly scars heal, but they will forever plague that right foot.  The one on the little piggie that gets no roast beef did eventually fade (it's almost 20 years old), but the nail itself was permanently damaged and is completely surfaced with vertical ridges.  This foot no longer fits in many of my favorite shoes and can be finicky about sandals too.


There will be no manicures for quite a while.  This index finger was smashed in a door on our cruise at the end of January.  It was sporting a big bruise for a while.  That's worked it's way out, but a break down in the deep part of the nail bed caused an icky situation where the nail beneath seems to be growing separately from the layer above the break.  Four months out, I'm tending it carefully -- but believe it will be another four to six months  before it is resolved. Some unpleasantness is sure to ensue before then.   I am trying to keep the surfaces glued together using super glue -- DT sells a small package of five tubes.  I'm topping it with a coat of Miracle Nail -- a hardener. It's also getting  coat of clear.  All products are from the DT.  I end up putting on the hardener every day.  I remove it all every three days or so, and start all over again.

While I do also buy beauty products at Big Lots and various drug stores, the Dollar Tree is my primary source.  I can really get  90% of what I need there.  It's nice when I can use a coupon, but that's not necessary to save money.

Comments

  1. I wonder how safe the dollar tree products are.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not buy anything that shows "Greenbriar International." Only established brands that appear to be close-outs from other sources. Any of the GI stuff is cheap and from China -- their equivalent of a store brand. You are right to be concerned!

      Delete
    2. I didn't know about GI. Thanks for that tip.

      Delete
  2. No need to spend any more money than necessary on beauty items. I still buy the same brands I did when I was young, the affordable drug store kind. I've never ever spent a lot of money on that type of stuff, really don't feel there is a need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever watch the TV shopping shows? The high priced skin care is ridiculous too! Most of those results are only temporary anyway. You're washing money down the drain!

      Delete
  3. I bought some micellar water for the first time when I was in India - it was by Garnier and was absolutely brilliant for removing waterproof mascara.
    Ouch to your poor finger. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the same product for our cruise this year and was impressed -- so when I saw it for a dollar a bottle, I had to stock up!

      Delete
  4. I am currently using Neutrogena Micellar water and I truly like it. I use a Neutrogena Night Cream at night and a day cream with UV protection during the day... when I remember to use them. Since I do not wear make up much (may be once or twice a month), I never fell into a daily skin regimen routine. Because of that, I never spend too much money on these... They last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certain products -- such as under eye concealer that I will only buy Neutrogena for. That is the one skin care line I spend the extra money on. We love their Rainbath wash and sesame body oil. The only reasonable way to buy these products is ordering on-line. Love them!

      Delete

Post a Comment