Cookware Coupe

 A trip into Goodwill turned up two great purchases for the kitchen.  The intention was to find a small/medium lidded pot.  Alas, none were to be had.  What was found, was a large lidded pot and a dough baking cylinder.  The special tag color for the day was blue, so the dough apparatus was half off.

 Original thrift price was $7.38 per each.  The Pyrex came to $3.69.  I was able to get a senior citizen's discount on the pot, so that was down to $5.54 -- a great deal.  This is a Cuisinart and looked to have barely been used.  I really needed a pot like this because I often make a large batch of sauce and then don't have a big pot to boil pasta in.

One reason I am only willing to pick better quality pots and pans, is that the construction of the bottom can really make or break the piece.  I've found good Cuisinart and Calphalon for so much less than original cost.  They are often in near mint condition -- as is obvious by the near pristine surface.  This construction will distribute heat well and is just the type of quality I require.  I've seen pots like this at estate and garage sales, always vastly over-priced.

The Pyrex tube is designed to produce a nice round loaf.  You grease the tube, then put the bread in to rise.  It's baked in the tube, and the rack/handle goes in the oven too.

The finished loaf of bread looked and tasted quite good. It was crispy on the outside and moist within.  A subsequent loaf proved very difficult to remove.  I would not give this product a high rating -- but the concept is good. I'll continue to try to work with it and hope I go on to get better results.  Since I only paid $3.69, it was worth it in order to find out if it would work out or not.

I cook a lot and rarely buy my cookware and tools new. If I do, it's not often at full price.  There is just too much good and useful stuff to find after market.  You just have to look for it!

Comments

  1. That Pyrex thingy is very odd, I've never seen or heard of anything like that. Well worth a try at that price. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't worked as well as I'd hoped. The bread really sticks to it! It's frustrated me the past three times I've used it. Next time, I am lining it with parchment paper. I do like the shape of the loaves it makes.

      Delete

Post a Comment