Sew-Sew Sunday

I like no-sew projects because my sewing skills are so poor.  Then again, I always imagine all sorts of projects.  Where I go awry, is in the implementation.  I found a table cloth on clearance and thought I could make aprons out of it.  The plan was to test it out on an old tablecloth we already own but don't use anymore.  This ugly floral one was the victim.

I used an existing apron as a template.  See how dirty it is?  This is why I thought I should think about making more!  I folded it in half to trace for a pattern, adding an inch all around for seams.

This is what I ended up with. I purposely made it a little shorter that the original because I am short.  Also, I did not include a front pocket because I never use them anyway.  It might not be obvious, but the sewing job is horrible. Having never really mastered the art, and working with a Kenmore machine from the 70's... there's a lot working against me!  But this will be good to have at camp.
There were a few scraps left over, so I made them into spare kitchen cloths.

Another thing I did, was cut a dress down into a tunic/long top to go over leggins.  I went for an asymmetric hemline on purpose.  I knew that I couldn't get it even if I tried, so I made it obviously skewed.  The biggest problem is that the stretchy material was hard to stitch with my machine.

I've worn this top quite a bit.  Since it's a hack job, I wear it on days I'm doing messy stuff.  I haven't ruined it yet, but if I did, there wouldn't be much to cry over.

Now that I am not working, I don't really need dresses.  This one was a little dowdy looking, but not so much once it was chopped to show more leg.  It was gotten from a rummage sale as part of an all-you-can-stuff $3 bag.  I'd say I got my money's worth out of it!

I don't sew often, but when I do, I don't do it very well!

Comments

  1. I wish I could sew. I do a little... Badly. Now that I am not working, I have been thinking on learning but, I have zero patience, so, I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought I'd spend more time on it once I stopped working, but it's a hassle to set up the machine, then clean up after your efforts. My lack of skill is a bit of a deterrent too!

      Delete
    2. popped by from T'Pol's. The more you sew the better you get. I am on a sewing kick at the moment.

      Delete
    3. That is probably true! It might also help to have a machine that isn't more than forty years old... I really mess up the stitches and don't understand how the various settings work. I'm a real klutz with bobbins too!

      Delete
  2. My stitching is nothing to write home about and, like you, I use a vintage 1970s machine (I found on the street). Keep sewing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't sew well at all, either. Oh, I machine piece handmade quilts, which only requires straight piecing on my machine. (I hand quilt the tops) They'll never win any ribbons, but the kids seem to like them. Beyond that, my sewing machines are crap. It's too bad, really, as I am under five feet tall. Do you know how hard it is to find pants to fit when you are that short? I have yet to figure out how to hem a pair of tapered leg pants, and frankly, have no desire to learn. As a result, I wear mostly skirts, which are more forgiving in length. I truly wish I could master sewing, but I don't have the patience or fine motor skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes hem things but can never manage to get the length even. It does help to have the machine on Halloween. I've turned out some passable costumes!

      Delete

Post a Comment