Carpet Care

If you have a bagless vacuum,  chances are there are removable filters which you can wash.  I don't  know how many people actually do this, but it's something that should happen fairly regularly.   The filter for our Eurkea Nimble pulls out and washes up nicely with soapy water.  I set it in the sun to dry.  The last thing you want, is to start using the filter if it's still wet.  It will gunk up horribly!

Once the filter is cleaned, it doesn't hurt to sprinkle your carpets with a deodorizer.  Plain baking soda will do, or you can get a formula especially for rugs.  It's pretty simple to dust it on, wait fifteen minutes, then suck it all up.

This time around, I used the Arm & Hammer product with Oxi-Clean.  I found it at Dollar Tree for a buck, so I bought three boxes.  I'll use it with my Orek too, which has a bag, but no filter to clean.  We have one vacuum for upstairs, and another for downstairs.

The upstairs vacuum, the Eureka, has a busted piece on the dust canister. It can't be replaced -- the machine and the part have been discontinued.  Replacement parts on Ebay are too pricey.  Luckily, the canister still holds together, I just have to hold it the right way when I snap it back in place.

I try to keep up with cleaning filters, cutting hair or long strands off the rollers, etc. We do not re-use bags, and make sure to empty them when they are full.

A dirty vacuum is useless.  That's why it's worth it to take a little time to clear filters and deodorize your rugs.  Do you do this too?

Comments

  1. My Royal has a fabric bag that holds a bag and a filter. I do not need to wash the fabric bag and I change the filters regularly. It was very expensive when it was new and is in perfect condition and the suction is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no longer a fan of the wind-tunnel/canister vacs. I'd much rather dispose of a bag than have to empty the cup after each use!

      Delete

Post a Comment