...And She's Back!

I got back from my trip last night.  Today, I steam cleaned the counters with a Shark steamer I grabbed from the house I helped clean out.  Not wanting to go into too much detail (even though no one knows the person, it's still a very personal topic), this house had all sorts of great cleaning tools and appliances -- that had never been used! And probably would never be used, so I was told to take what I wanted.

This was terrifying experience.  The place was 75% hoarding, 10% chronic clutter, and 15% squalor.  I understand the squalor rating should have been higher because TBG was out two weeks prior and cleaned out areas filled with mouse poop and a few snake skins.

My stay was approximately two weeks and I worked straight through all but one day.  My first assignment was  to tackle a home office that no one else felt comfortable touching as it contained a lot of computer equipment.  One other person thought he could do it, but after about a half hour, admitted he was at a total loss as to what to do.  My feeling is that you start in one corner and work your way around.  That's what I did and it took me three days!  I also set up a new office in another area of the house and finished up with three more rooms and a horrible closet.

This experience was an eye opener.  Not only because of the house I cleaned out, and the ups and downs of dealing with the health issues of the individual who lives there, but because of the lifestyle I experienced living with another relative who was kind enough to host me during this time.   While one relative (who is ill and owns the house I helped clean) depends almost entirely on the other (the one I stayed with), everyone in the house I stayed at seems to depend on the same person.  I spent a lot of time at my host house cleaning up.  The poor dear was running ragged looking after everyone so I didn't want to pipe in and suggest her own family could be looking out for themselves more.  It seems no one does any picking up after themselves, so I spent over an hour each night at the sink, then picked up clutter around the house once that was done.  I cooked more than a few meals and found that most of the time, food went to waste -- as opposed to my method of starting with a basic foundation and turning it into subsequent meals.  Food in the town was more expensive than I am used to, plus no one in the entire family seems to do any bargain hunting or price comparison. Luckily, there was an Aldi and Walmart.

Teddy stayed with me. It wasn't a bad couple of weeks for her as she likes her canine cousin and the teenagers too. I walked both dogs almost every day after I was done at the hoarding house.  The kids did play with them outside most days.  We also did a couple of nice  hikes.  The cardio/activity level was lower than what she is accustomed to, so she's put on a few pounds (also as a result of our skin adventure and the sedentary time at camp).  The backyard where we stayed was quite dirty/muddy and she was off leash for our hikes.  As a result, she got a big-time bath today, including a blow-out.  She isn't due for a clip for another couple of weeks.

At night, we slept in a cool basement together.  I was on a futon mattress on the floor (the first night on the frame killed my back!).  TBG came out for one weekend and had his own pad on the floor.  It was nice that they gave me this private area because the two of us just needed alone time after being in the middle of a situation so unlike what we live like each day.

I am glad I spent this time helping because TBG works and couldn't have done that.  I love his family and want to be part of the good times and the hard times.  Now that I've had this experience, I think it's time to do another house purge.  We are by no means over-stuffed here, but I can see that I have some of the same tendencies that our relative has.  When it comes to explaining why I chose to throw out so much stuff from that house, I'll have to admit that while it was frustrating and shocking, I also understand the desire to keep stuff.  The need to hoard is probably present in most of us.  It's just shocking when you see what it can end up with at the extreme end.

This was a long post and there was so much more that went on.  So I am just glad to be home!

Comments

  1. Glad you're back. I hope the family appreciates all the work you put in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very grateful and sent me off with a nice doughnut breakfast (because I loooove doughnuts), a humidifier/air diffuser, and a kind note. I had offered to stay longer to do some home care, but TBG put down his foot at two weeks. I did miss him a lot! I would have been too harsh/tough love on the patient so it probably would not have worked. I am very pragmatic and I guess that can come across as harsh.

      Delete
  2. I need someone like you to get through my clutter that has no hoarding, food on the floor, or snakes...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so much harder when it's your own stuff???

      Delete
  3. You are an angel to help with that monumental task. My great aunt died and left an apartment full of collectibles of every kind. She was single, had never married and traveled a lot. She just had a LOT of stuff and we had to deal with it all. I spent hours and hours packing it up. It was overwhelming to say the least.The experience made me start purging and I never stopped. That was 20 years ago. My daughter just moved out leaving me with an extra room. I've been able to furnish it so far just by pulling things from other areas of the house. I'm trying to resist the temptation of buying another piece of furniture simply because I have the room for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were boxes and boxes of camera equipment yet I didn't see a single photograph hung on a wall. He collected things he felt were valuable and bought five or six of the same thing at a time, thinking he could sell the extra. Your aunt's abode sounds very similar! I've done three "estate" clean-ups and don't want to foist that on anyone. Suffice it to say getting a will in place has been a no-go for this one as well.

      Delete
  4. How sweet of you to do that! I understand TBG not wanting to be away from you for too long. I am glad Teddy got to stay with you and to play with her cousin. You got m ethinking on purging more stuff. I will do that before I go on vacation. I think I can donat emany pairs of pants. This summer has been an eye opener with regards to how few pieces I need now that I am semi-retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now feeling ready to divest the clothing I had for work. Seeing this mess woke me up to how stuffed our house is becoming. I now know only a dire situation would send me back to work. If I was working, I'd never have been able to help. I can tell you, I did not feel "sweet" for much of the time!

      Delete
  5. Semi hoarding is tough. My mom had packrat tendencies but seems to have let that go - we had to clean her out a couple of times. Now the second she wants to let something go I cart it off and deal with it - I think making the decision what to do with "stuff" brings people to a standstill and things get worse not better. You did good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was feeling badly that I threw so much stuff out, but then I realized, he actually had very few actual objects -- like hardly any furniture. Mostly, it was mounds and mounds of paper, disks, etc. He had shared ownership of this house at first and I had to cull a lot of mail the prior owner was still getting that had sensitive info on it (like social security numbers). A lot of time was taken up by making sure nothing discarded could lead to identity theft.

      Delete

Post a Comment