Getting Back to My Life

It's taken me a day longer to get back to this blog than planned because I've had to play domestic catch-up.  My second day back on the job as Haus Frau was spent shopping and cleaning.  Dinner was pork fajitas.  I found frozen boneless riblets in the freezer.  Those were a use-today special for $2.83.  Without time to thaw and cook, I just put them in bag with seasoning and submerged it in the sous vide. Temp was set at 135 for three hours.  I cut them up, put them back in the bag with the juice, sauteed veggies and then poured the pork mix into the pan.  The whole wheat tortillas and shredded cheese predated my trip. I was glad to use them!

As if I hadn't learned enough from my de-hording adventures, I visited the same sin on our house.  Price Rite is re-configuring their layout.  I was there to buy cookies and chips for a social event, but passed the mark down shelf.  The items were just 20% off, but the prices low enough to begin with that I couldn't resist.  The polenta was $1.75 and the organic San Marzano tomatoes were $2.95.  We had one box of polenta for dinner -- grilled, with melted mozzarella cheese, topped with home-made sauce.

Yesterday would have been a blog day for me, but I was busy helping TBG pull off his yearly customer appreciation river cruise.  It's two hours on the Niagara River aboard the Queen of Peace.  35 people attended (the maximum capacity).  We ordered two wrap trays from Wegmans and two dip platters.  I saved a few bucks by picking up the chips at Price Rite.  Dessert was two packages of "Kids Favorite" bakery style cookies and two packages of mini-cup cakes.  TBG was amused that the desserts all had rainbow sprinkles on them -- my favorite condiment.

I had picked up the wine and Price Rite items on Tuesday, then picked up the catered food yesterday afternoon.  I met him at the dock a little before 5PM, and we got it all set up by 5:30.  I even managed to sync a playlist to my phone so we'd have music.  Everyone had a great time.  Each of the company's branch managers have a customer appreciation event once a year.  TBG always does this cruise and his customers love it. I am glad to be able to help.  Of all the different food choices we've gone with in the past, this year we hit the magic combination.  We had just a little bit of everything left over and all of the food was easy to eat while the boat was touring the river.  With perfect weather and good people aboard, it was a wonderful evening.

This is the type of thing I thrive on and it's not easy to be away from it.  It is a lot of work, but I like what I am able to accomplish.  Women I know wondered if I would be satisfied not being able to "achieve" any great goal, or make my stamp on the world in retirement.  I find what I'm doing very rewarding.  TBG has a wonderful staff and I also like his regional manager a lot.  When I help him, I am helping them.  Since I enjoy them as well, it's a win-win.  That's satisfying enough for me!

Comments

  1. A lot of people do not realize retirement is a blessing. My father had retired after 30 years of work and he got to live just one year of retirement. He passed suddenly at a very young age. If one can be retired due to wise choices and frugal ways of living, that sure is a blessing. Now you have more time not only for fun activities like the above but also, thoughtful activities like you did for a family member. Enjoy your retirement to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning, I kept thinking something dire would happen and I'd have to go back to work. I even kept my LinkedIn profile updated although I still listed myself as retired. Now I am ready to donate all of my old work clothes. I'm not going back!

      Delete

Post a Comment