Gone Nuts!

So, I have nuts on the brain this week.  That's because I'm nuts about getting every last bit of value from everything I buy and make.  Case in point?  The batch of nut brownies I made once I was done grinding up my nut butter.

I pick up brownie mix when it's a buck a box or less.  $1.79 is generally the going price per box.  We enjoy microwave brownies at camp, so I take the mix out of the box and cram as many bags as I can into a big zippie.  One batch uses half a bag.  Of course, I try to keep some at home for actual oven baking too.

The bowl I had used to mix up my nut butter was coated in the remains that couldn't be scraped away.  This could have made a nice snack for pup, but I'm trying to get a few pounds off of her.  There is also a small quantity of Brazilian nuts which are allegedly bad for dogs -- but probably not enough in this mix to matter.

I poured the milk for the mix into the bowl and then was able to scrape the remaining sticky stuff into it.  The mixture used the appropriate amount of eggs (pup did get the shells), and I added a little oil --  not too much since the nut butter was oily enough.

The mix I had was actually family size, which made my dollar bargain an even bigger savings.  Best of all, by adding in additional chopped walnuts and pecans, plus the extra flavor of the nut butter, we ended up with a delicious treat.

In my world, part of the clean-up effort is seeing what I can make from any vestiges of the main product.  I think I deserve brownie points for this one!

Comments

  1. I have read that dogs shouldn't eat almonds, but cashews are okay for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to research that. We have been giving her any pills she takes with a blob of nut butter and haven't had problems. That doesn't mean we should be doing it!

      Delete

Post a Comment