Hooked on Hooks

I pressed a bag of cafe hooks into service customizing a couple of areas in our trailer.  The rear window had previously been covered with an ugly heavy valance and metal blinds.  That was a pain in the neck (loud when it was windy, hard to keep clean).  They were removed last year and contact paper was put over the window (which is covered with a flap on the exterior anyway).  The unsightly window is now hidden with a length of fabric secured  by the hooks. A long thick shower curtain holds the fabric back from the bed and sort of serves as a visual headboard.  Hooks on the rod can hold chargers and other night time supplies.


This mirror was a cheap buy from Dollar Tree.  It's being held on the wall with a hook and then the cafe clip grabs it from that.  This is a cheap mirror that doesn't weight a lot but I didn't want to risk securing it with a Command Performance hook.  They don't tend to stay adhered to trailer walls very well.  Maybe it's the dampness.  In any event, if this piece fell, it would break into many small shards; something we don't need.

This is half of a cotton shower curtain hung over the open main door of the cabin.  There are many nights where it's worth it to sleep with the doors and windows open. It is wonderful go get the breeze and hear the waves hitting the shore.  By hanging this lightweight curtain, we get the benefit of the door being open but the advantage of privacy.  It also filters out some of the night time ambient light.  As for blocking out daylight... there is no reason to bother as the pup wakes up daddy at sunrise in order to get out and start their day as soon as possible.

When the curtain is not in use, both ends are held to the side on the same hook.  This doesn't get in the way and it's an easy way to put up and remove the curtain.

I try to find clever ways to customize the trailer that also add functionality.  Cup hooks are great to have -- but not easy to screw into the wall or cabinets unless you start first with an awl.  Most of the stuff I hang is found cheap or left over from other projects.  None of it's fancy, but it sure makes life a little more pleasant.

Comments

  1. I like practical solutions very much. Especially, if I can re-purpose something old, I love it even better. My grandmom on my mom's side was great at this. She was a very frugal lady having to raise three children on my grandpa's salary alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also lucked upon a cache of clips from a set of used shades donated by a friend which she no longer needed. I re-used the material and the clips so it was a real frugal win!

      Delete
  2. Your camp trailer sounds perfect - I would love love love somewhere to escape to every weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are keeping our fingers crossed that it holds up a few more years as it is a nice escape!

      Delete
  3. This is clever. I trusted Command Hooks even though I have only bought one small set for light things. I would be afraid to sleep with nothing but a curtain between me and the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Command Hooks can be pricey and they work only for a certain amount of time. Anything I've hung with them eventually fell. Especially in a room that gets humid!

      Delete

Post a Comment