My Indulgences

I mentioned my Dollar Tree obsession in my last post.  Part of the reason I am loath to do anything about it, is that the products I buy may seem excessive, but they are part of my regular skin care routine.  Since I spend so much time doing chores and trying to stay healthy, my guilty pleasure is having healthy skin.  I try to take some time each day to at least pamper the myself this way.

For many years, I had horrible acne.  In fact, I still am able to sprout zits after going through menopause.  Part of my skin care regimen for years involved prescription strength Retin-A.  This was a miracle for me when I started getting chronic adult acne at the age of 19.  The problem carried well into maturity, requiring the prescription strength past the point where my insurance was willing to cover it -- since so many use it as an anti-aging treatment.  In my forties, I was able to still get the stuff when my doctors specifically requested it and filled out the appropriate forms to indicate it was specifically for adult acne.  That won't work anymore, so I am hoarding the supply I am sometimes able to get through other sources.

One way I can stretch out my supply, is to add a little bit of the prescription to Retinoid a beauty serum.  I know this method is effective since I have a mole by my nose that is a genetic curse.  I will also grow skin tags on my neck if I am not diligent.  When I have stopped using any retinol product, the mole grows (and I get zits too boot).  The solution I've come to seems to work.  I also add a little bit to a retinol cream.  I have been getting both the serum and the cream at Big Lots for about five bucks a pop.  I've also taken to creating my own serum with a glycerine base.  For this reason, I was very happy to find a double strength serum for a buck a bottle at DT.  I will be able to get four or five months of nightly serum application out of this supply.

When using a retinol, you need to be careful not to employ any other drying ingredient at the same time.  Hyaluronic acid and vitamin C are great anti-aging ingredients, but are generally too harsh to be used along with a retinol/retinoid.  Since I do want to slow down the rate at which my skin ages, I use both types of products.  I apply the Hyaluronic and Vitamin C products in the morning in a serum, followed up with a collagen moisturizer.  I use a mask once per week along with a retinol moisturizer and a full-strength application of Retin-A.   All of the ingredients used add up to about five bucks a month.  If even that.  I am very careful about retinol products around my eyes and upper lift as I don't want to dry out those areas -- so I concentrate more collagen moisture products in those areas.

One thing I really missed during my prolonged time away from home (both in my clean up and camp/car fiasco), was my regular skin care pampering time.  I'm pretty meticulous in what I do and this helps me feel as if I have the ability to indulge.

Many frugalites eschew gym memberships, but swimming is very important to me (membership is $20 per month). I'm swimming in the river too (which is emotionally cathartic, not to mention fun), but going to the aquatics center three days a week.  Pool time gives me the opportunity to sauna.  That is important to help sweat away pool chemicals, but more importantly, it is relaxing.  I scrub my face, neck, shoulders, etc. with my fingers and try to get rid of any dead skin accumulation.  That makes a huge difference for my complexion and something I missed dearly when I was away.  I also deep condition my hair at the same time. Of course I also completely moisturize after my shower.

Another thing I didn't get to do much of when away, was foot maintenance.  I can't figure why hitting my mid fifties all of the sudden made the skin around my ankles so dry, but it did! Every night before bed, I wipe down my feet and put on a thick cream. I moisturize well between my toes and on the bottom of my feet, along with my elbows.  I use a COq10 cream on my neck and upper chest.   Once a week, I remove polish and let my toes go color free a few days before painting my toe nails again.  I also epilate my arms, legs, and facial area (cheeks and chin). I will say that between swimming, sauna, exfoliation, and the moisturizer I use, I never get skin tags on my neck.

I figure if I bought prestige beauty products or went to an aesthetician,  I would get better results --  but not my much.  A pedicure is $30 a pop, if you figure in the tip.  Making the effort to source inexpensive supplies and having the patience to do it myself takes less time than if I were to make an appointment and get professional treatments.  Going for a couple of weeks at a time without indulging myself showed up on my skin, so I know what I am doing makes a difference.

Do you have an indulgent skin care/beauty routine? Or do you think I am crazy???


Comments

  1. I do not think you are crazy and I envy you for being so diligent about your skin care regimen. I am the kind of person who buys products, uses them a few times and then forgets all about them. I do not remember being able to finish a product. I usually toss them out because I have not used them for a long time. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to keep up when I think about how cheap it all is. I watch home shopping shows on TV and the products are so expensive. So I feel like I'm getting a leg up by doing it so cheaply that I want to keep at it.

      Delete
  2. When I was teenager I got zits on my forehead, and right before my period pop out a pimple. But now I have a combo skin. Forehead is slightly oil and my legs a dry.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told when I was younger it was that my body produces too much testosterone. That extra might come in handy now...

      Delete
  3. I used Retin-A for years, until my insurance (Medicare) would no longer cover it. I didn't want to pay for it out-of-pocket so I no longer use it. In fact I use nothing special on my face except Olay Moisturizer for sensitive skin. I usually don't even use soap. I admire all you do for yourself; that includes personal care as well as all the work you do around the house, all the meals you cook, and all you do for Teddy. I have gotten so lazy I feel lucky to get myself in the shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, whenever I take a shower at home, I clean it all along with the bathroom by spritzing it with vinegar, water and essential oil. It's not fun, so I look forward to the days I shower at the pool!

      Delete
  4. We all have our little indulgences, it's only human. With me it's vintage clothes.
    I'm hopelessly low maintenance when it comes to any beauty regime. I'm a recent convert to organic coconut oil (£1.49 for a large glass jar) which I use as an eye-make up remover, hair conditioner, bath oil, body, hand and foot moisuriser. I love my epilator (Jon bought me one for my birthday last year) and just discovered Konjac sponges (£1) which I use to clean my face once a day with a neem and turmeric soap I buy in India. The other products I use (a shampoo bar, deodorant bar and a facial moisturiser bar) are all by Lush - they are cruelty-free and unpackaged so completely waste free - they're not cheap but the deodorant and shampoo last a year and the moisturiser is three months old now and I'm only a third of the way through it! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment