Saved from the Hoarding House

This is one of two Navy uniform tops that TBG found at his brother's house when he went out to help clean it out.  There was damage to part of it and if it had not been rescued, would have probably disintegrated within a couple more years.  It was sad how much memorabilia was there but not protected or responsibly stored.  He had hoped I could do it justice, and this was the result.  This presentation frame is from Michael's. There was a  BOGO sale going on I was able to buy two for $24.
  

I cut foam board so that there would be a base to fold around.  The folds were secured with straight pins.  It took a number of tries for me to get the fold right, and then to make sure it was centered right in the frame.  Of course, all sorts of lint and stray foam bits got on the fabric, so I had to make sure any sort of lint or debris would not show up on the shirt.  It was not easy to fold the collar just right so that the stars and stripes would fully show.
 TBG also found a letter dated March 16, 1951.  Poppy started the letter as his ship entered the Straights of Gibralter.  Since mail was not picked up daily, he added more on with additional dates. This was written on two sides, in pencil.  The goal was to at least show some of it, since it would not be possible to display it all.

The second uniform has brass buttons, which I tried to show.  It is in better condition, so this is the one TBG wanted for himself.  The uniform shows two of the four buttons, the collar and a sleeve cuff.   Being off-center might have been odd, but having the letter in the lower corner helps.

This entire family experience has been draining.  Multiple trips home to help have been tough on us mentally and financially.  We had to leave camp on Sunday in the middle of our long Labor Day weekend because our family member was due to be released from the hospital to a therapy facility, but the wound from his amputation became dangerously infected and led to a near deadly fever.  We rushed there thinking "this is it."

He is still being treated but has improved, so we came home. The doctors have kept him under heavy sedation the entire time, so he didn't even know TBG was there.  At this point, we can't feasibly rush home each time it seems dire.  We are resigned to waiting it out with fingers crossed.  There is hope now that he will rebound and make it into recovery.  If that is the case, we will be very glad.  If the house is sold and a new one found, we'll give the first shirt I showed as a present -- and be sure to hang it on the wall ourselves.

This has been on big lesson on taking care of ourselves and our belongings.  The bright side is we do now have two wonderful mementos.   Definitely worth saving!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful way to display the uniform and give it to him. I think elderly and poor health must just feel so depressed and overwhelmed. My prayers go out to your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good way to make him feel better about us getting rid of so much stuff... although truthfully, most of it was just debris. TBG said there were a few white uniform pieces too, but they were beyond salvaging. There are medals too, which I might grab next time we are there and put in a case too.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea for the presentation. If you leave straight pins in it, they will rust. Ask me how I know? Try small stitches. Great idea for the letter. Maybe you can make a copy of each side just for posterity , not for display. This is a treasure you are protecting and it makes me appreciative even though it is not mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great thoughts! I will definitely take action.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely idea and a wonderful piece of family history to have.
    I hope TBG's brother makes a speedy recovery. One of Jon's best friends lost a leg in a motorcycle accident four years ago, he's back riding bikes now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an old french horn hanging in my hall which was my father's. He was in the army marching band. Now I have this uniform. My goal now is to get a framed copy of the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album/poster to put in my upstairs hall with these two pieces. Sort of my funky homage to the military.

      Delete
  4. I hope you do get your hands on the medals. Once of the things you can do if you need to fill more space is use a uniform hat or a folded flag. My mother in law rescued a memento of my husband's great uncle, August Beckhoff who was in Teddy Roosevelt's Great White Navy. It is on a picture frame, with August's pic and the pic of his ship surrounded by hand embroidered flags of all the countries August saw during his voyage. One of the places was the COUNTRY of Hawaii, that's how old it was. My mother in law found it on a trash heap. How can a person throw away history like that. What a great job you did on these memories; professionals charge a great deal for these shadow boxes for military personnel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great ideas! I do plan on opening the boxes back up and gently stitching the folds now that I have been warned the pins will rust. TBG is so thrilled to have these.

      Delete

Post a Comment