Peach and Pepper Chutney

We had extra peaches that came from the Farmer's Market at camp following our vacation.  A friend also sent us home with banana peppers and a lime.  The peaches were tasty but we couldn't eat them all before they became over-ripe, so inspired by a package of Naan bread, I decided to make chutney.  In addition, I added a red pepper and onion, along with golden and dark raisins.

Chutney is so easy.  Start by sauteing the onion. I used grape seed oil.  Once they were caramelized, I added the peppers.  The peaches went in last, and once I set it to cool, the raisins were tossed in.  I like seasoning my chutney with masala spice, salt, pepper, cumin, and a little bit of nutmeg.  It was stored in the refrigerator and we heated some up to eat with the bread as a side to a shrimp and scallop curry stew.  There was plenty left after our dinner to enjoy as a nosh.

This is a great way to use seasonal fruit.  I know most people think of sweet things to do with fruit, but a savory chutney is a great way to bring out the flavor of a high sugar fruit like peaches. Pie is nice, but chutney is swell too!

Comments

  1. Never in a million years would I have thought to put that combo together but it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. I always try to pair something sweet and something spicy in my chutney. We had some with crab cakes instead of tartar sauce. Yum!

      Delete
  2. That looks and sounds delicious. I've never heard of a banana pepper, I'm off to Google it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not big on hot peppers, but these are a bit milder. I never buy them but won't turn them down if they are offered!

      Delete
  3. I looked up banana peppers and we have the same exact looking thing but they are not hot at all. The chutney looks good. I like sweet/hot and sweet/sour tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am a wimp when it comes to that kind of heat, which probably explains why I thought there was a little bit of heat!

      Delete

Post a Comment