A Different Kind of Donation

This fall, I parted ways with 90% of my work/career wardrobe.  It took me a little time to finally feel disengaged from the working world.  Unless tragedy hits our home, I can't foresee going back to that daily grind.  It was also nice to free up a lot of room in my closet!

A dear friend is a school administrator for a very impoverished district.  The program she helps run was put in place three or four years ago when the graduation rate was around 17%. Today, it is over 80%.  After she told us that they are always looking for good quality clothing for not only students and graduates, but their parents, to wear to job interviews... I knew where my clothes needed to go.  It's important for this program to help the community, not just the kids.  They do a lot for the parents too.
 
I made sure everything was clean and in good condition.  Then I individually wrapped each piece, noting what it was.  Some of the packages had messages, such as a blazer I wore to a job interview -- where I got the job.  There were some pieces I noted would go well with others.  If I thought care instructions would help, I wrote that too.  The major thing was that I didn't want this lot to look like discards.  I don't think you make people feel good when your donation comes across as cast-offs.

In addition to clothes, I had shape-wear, shoes, stockings, some jewelry, scarves, and purses. I couldn't believe how much I had to pass along.  The school was so happy to get this and I know what I passed on will be put to good use.

When it came to work, I always found higher quality brands at thrifts.  Where we live, this merchandise is common.  That is not always the case in the economically challenged inner-city areas.  Hopefully that will make the next wearer feel as well dressed as I did when I went out looking for a job.

Comments

  1. You went way above and beyond in your packaging and comments on these items. I would never think to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady who I donated it to is so caring and considerate that I wanted to do her justice. I was glad to have the chance!

      Delete
  2. You went above and beyond what would be expected. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to be able to clear out my closet and know the items were going to be appreciated.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely thing to do, the way you labelled and wrapped everything was so thoughtful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I save plain brown packing wrap and it was perfect for this application!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was much more satisfying than dumping the stuff in a garbage back and dropping it off at a back door or dumpster donation site.

      Delete
  5. That is so nice of you to say Laurie. Thank you for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Wow, sounds like your friend is doing great things there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have so many vocational programs and some lead to degree and advanced degree programs. Another thing this school needs badly are sneakers for their student athletes. They have a great basketball team, but the kids can't afford sneakers!

      Delete

Post a Comment