In the Sink

The sink was another phase of my kitchen counter rejuvenation project.  This chip in the porcelain had to be addressed.  It hasn't been like this long, but I didn't want it to go unaddressed and get worse.  A new sink is not in our short-term future.

Super Glue makes a product that can be used to make small fixes.  There's actually a special putty you can use, which you then paint over with an enamel... but I wanted something quick and cheap.  This was under ten bucks.  White is not a hard color to match.

The stuff can also be used to repair tiles and there were a few places that needed to be fixed.  This spot was helped by the new grout, but I figured I'd give the glue solution a try too.

It did OK.  Not perfect, but the white spot looks better than the dark one it covers.  I tried to save the rest of the product by wrapping it in cling wrap before putting on the cap.  We will probably have to touch this spot up again.  The tile repair was OK -- the color is a lot brighter, but I'm not worried as the grout under it will probably be much more durable.

We had been keeping stuff in back of the sink and that made a sloppy and moldy mess.  This tote came from Dollar Tree and it is working out well.  I wash it out each night and it stores between the two sinks really well.  I can easily take it out and set it on the counter when I want to do dishes.

I can keep it out of the way by nestling it in the sink too.  The jars on the window sill are filled with wine corks and 90% isopropyl alcohol.  They are used as fire starters.  TBG is going to put them out in the garage since the fire pit is in our back yard.

Fixing the ding and streamlining our sink area has made a big difference.  My next job will be to repair the front of one drawer, then sand and paint the lower cabinet.  Who knows when I will get to that???!!!

Comments

  1. I had a chip in the porcelain in my sink for many years. It never got worse...lol. Finally, I had the sink replaced. Within a month of replacing the cast iron sink, I chipped it again with a wayward cast iron skillet. I never replaced that sink. That product looks like a miracle repair. Tommy's bathroom counter has 1" tiles and they are chipped, broken, poorly repaired and need the grout cleaned and whitened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our next sink is going to be stainless steel. I am just too tough on them in the kitchen. At our old house, we had a synthetic product called Moenstone. It was supposed to be bullet proof but it scratched way too easily. I think we'll need something commercial grade because of how heavily we use our kitchen.

      I do have two or three more projects to tackle with this counter/cabinet area.

      There is a product you can use to cover old tile counters. I think it's made by Rustoleum. That comes in a kit. That might make sense for your Tommy's counter.

      Delete
    2. He bought his house in 1985. It was built in 1965. He said the counter in the bathroom was broken and repaired when he bought it. I cannot imagine what happened to it and how many hammers were used to destroy it. I also wonder how old the child was who repaired the counter!

      I love cast iron sinks and absolutely hate stainless steel sinks. But, to each her own...lol. Thanks for the tip about the tile cover.

      Use Barkeeper's Friend for the scratched sink.

      Delete
    3. I am waiting to find the product you suggest on sale!

      Delete
  2. What a smart way to use that divided basket! We took out our shower doors and there is a line on the edge of the tub where the track was. It's hidden by the shower curtain we put up, but I'd like to try and conceal the line a little more. That touch up paint might just do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rustoleum makes a Tub & Tile product. It's a larger quantity. Based on the area you need to cover, that might make more sense. It's worth it to compare the two products, I think.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant, Alex. Perfect fix. Also, how smart are you to put that carrier between the two sinks? I have a drain rack in the left hand sink, which I rarely use. This keeps the counter clear and anything I hand wash goes in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That carrier is working really well. Now every time I run the dishwasher, I put in all the items except the soap pump and hand sanitizer. I'm even keeping the drain plug and basket in there. Having it raised helps me keep the sink much cleaner.

      Delete

Post a Comment