Cool Patching

I finally got around to a sewing project I'd wanted to tackle for a while.  This cool Avenger's material was part of an anniversary present I got TBG.  After patching his clothing with paisley print, I decided I'd get him something cool.  I picked up a half yard of this but knew I'd need to work on its strength and durability if I was going to apply it to clothing he wears to work.

Starting with a pair of jeans I knew I wouldn't wear at all, I cut both the Avenger's fabric and the denim into squares, which I then stitched together on my sewing machine.  I cut squares which were about eight inches, which I will cut down to size once I need to use them.

I liked an effect I got from using a white bobbin thread and dark blue on top.  For the first square I just sewed rows in one direction.  I'm not worried about the machine stitching coming unraveled when I cut it into smaller stitches since I'll just sew around the border.
 
I did some panels with stitching in both directions.  This will be stronger and I plan to use it for knee and elbow patching.  If he gets any big holes, I will stitch around the hole and then have this patch show through from the back.  I've got some rainbow embroidery thread that will look cool with that.

I also did a panel with a light cotton/flannel backing.  I can use this for lighter material such as shirts or pull-overs.

Since I've been keeping up with any rips, holes or tears when I first notice them, there has been nothing large to patch.  That is sort of a bummer!  But I know one of these days he's gonna blow out something big and I'll be prepared to sew it up with these pieces.

Comments

  1. That is a good idea to make your own patches, and out of something fun. I have been sewing for almost 70 years. I have been sewing on a machine for 64 years. Your tension is off on the bobbin or needle thread The effect you are getting is proof of this. Try tightening the tension on the needle thread a little at a time until the bobbin thread does not pull the needle` thread so tightly that it lies on the bottom of the fabric patch. Bobbin tension rarely has to be adjusted. Congratulations on saving money by mending clothes and making your own patches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know something is definitely off. Now I will check that!

      Delete

Post a Comment