Four Quart Slow Cooker Bargain

While I didn't realize I needed a four quart oblong slow cooker, I decided to buy it since it was marked down 75% at the grocery store.  It's a size and shape I didn't already have and for ten bucks, it was worth a try.  I really wanted to grab all four left on the shelf to save for gifts, but knew I'd have an expensive charge card bill from December to pay.  This turned out to be a great buy!

The first run of this little gem was a batch of boneless country ribs that were a use today special from Save-a-Lot.  The package of pork was $2.93 and I planned to get the meat cooked in the slow cooker, then store it in the fridge for a few meals during the week.

The first layer was my flavoring base -- four chicken thigh bones, carrots, celery and spices.  For moisture, I used half a jar of home-made bird stock (chicken and turkey) and a little water.
I was able to fit all of the meat in as a single layer set above the flavor base.  Each piece was rubbed with salt and pepper.  Using moisture in the flavoring portion meant the pork would steam rather than poach/boil.  I thought that would make for more tender meat.  It started on high for about an hour, then was set down to low for a few more.

Once it was all done, I pulled out the meat and let it cool. I stored it in the fridge in an airtight container.  It was intentionally not used so that it could tenderize a bit more as it cooled.

I separated the flavor ingredients and stock, and tossed the bones in the garbage. It was worth it to save this glop (including some cartilage from the bones) because I fed it to the pup.  While I would get more flavor by having onion in the base, dogs can't eat it.  By eliminating that (and adding onion when I actually cook), I'm getting more value from my food $$ and helping my dog stay healthy by eating real food.

The reserve liquid that remained was essential for the first meal I made with the pork -- a light chili using black beans, corn, tomato and onion.  I made up just enough for four meals.  A few days later, I made a similar meal again, then turned the leftovers into soup.  I think that batch of pork made three dinners and six lunches.

This slow cooker paid for itself in the first meal alone.  In fact, it was small enough to sit out on the counter for a couple of days to make other meals.  It works well because it's size is just right for two people and it doesn't take up a lot of room.  What a great serendipitous buy!

Comments

  1. I have had several of the identical Crock Pots. I, too, love the size. I have a seven quart that I cannot lift. The four quart size holds an amazing amount of food. That was a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I see you have a different brand! Still, the same size.

      Delete
    2. This is better than the one quart too, since it has more settings. It is a great size!!!

      Delete
  2. I love our crock pot, have zero urge to get one of the newer ones (instant pot). We use it at least once a week, the current one is about 10 years old bit it still works great so we keep using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an electric pressure cooker that slightly pre-dates the now popular instant pot. We keep it at camp because we just don't have the right set-up for a stove-top version. At home, I use a stove-top pressure cooker that was $20, made by IMUSA. I have zero desire to shell out money for an instant pot. However, when it comes to a slow cooker, I find having a variety of sizes really helps. I am really loving this little cheap find.

      Delete

Post a Comment