Grocery Shopping at the Dollar Store

I have posted before about the great food bargains I find at Dollar Tree (where every thing costs a dollar).  Although this might seem tiresome, I think it's worth it to remind folks to shop outside of the grocery store/super market environment.  It helps stretch your food dollars and does not mean you will be eating cheap or unhealthy goods.  Steer clear of the ramen noodles and and cans of soup, but look for healthier versions of staples you usually need to spend more on.  For instance, protein pasta like this.  Right now, with the focus being on low or no gluten diets, protein pasta is not cheap.  I snagged three boxes for a buck each. These are turned into pasta based dinners that I mix half with regular pasta.  The boxes shown here will easily make 15 meals or more.

In a grocery store, frozen riced cauliflower runs around $2.49 on sale.  Bags of frozen fruit about two bucks.  While I can often find frozen broccoli for a  buck, the bag is often smaller that what I get at Dollar Tree.  This pile of frozen goodness was used to make two week's worth of veggie slop for the dog.  The vegetable portion of her diet is important to us, so I am always looking for affordable ways to feed her. The veggies we feed are very important for nutritional reasons (vitamins, antioxidants, etc.), as well as part of her cancer care program.  She benefits from the fiber too.


I printed off the nutrition label from the pasta.  One serving offers four grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein, without any sodium. In addition, there's a good nutritional profile: Iron, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and folic acid.  While this contains flour, the formula also includes fava bean, chick pea and lentil products.  All of the kinds of soluble fiber sources I want in our diet.

There's a lot of high calorie, high carbohydrate, sodium and sugar laden products to be found at most dollar stores.  Cheap food is generally not very healthy.  However, if you keep your eyes open, healthy gems can be found.  When I spot them, I stock up.  It's one way I manage to feed us and the dog healthy meals.  If you haven't already included this type of store in your food shopping plan, it's worth giving it a try.

Comments

  1. My only concern besides no electric carts would be price per ounce. I think if a person is discriminating in the grocery store the person would make good choices at DT.

    I went into a DT and was searching for something and asked a customer who told me this DT did not cooler/freezer which I thought odd.

    Good tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all DTs have coolers and many carry a different variety of stock. I live near a very high volume store, which I think helps. I use the calculator on my phone a lot so I can figure out the unit price. For example, a buck for a can of beans is nuts. I can get them for .69 cents at Price Rite. Any of the protein or veggie enhanced pastas generally run around $2.50 or more per box, which is why I was happy to find this cache.

      DT is not ADA compliant or overly accessible at all. The aisles are small, cramped and cluttered. The store I shop at is always a mess and understaffed. I wouldn't put up wit that were it not for the great deals I find.

      Delete
    2. The stores are not crowded or cluttered at my DT. Checking prices is best. But, since my Android was stolen, I am not able to check things. I cannot hang onto a cart long enough to shop properly. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Almost all of our dollar stores have only a few groceries, never a frozen or fresh section unfortunately. I do buy a couple of things there though, only brands I am familiar with due to their bad reputations for importing imposter products (from China mainly, things like toothpaste with unknown ingredients).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to buy toothpaste there and have also backed off buying anything but name-brand cold remedies, etc. There is a lot of garbage in the frozen section, so it's just the bags of fruit and veggies that I buy.

      Delete
  3. Our Dollar Trees don't have a lot in the way of groceries that I'm interested in. However, we have 99 Cents Only stores that are wonderful! I get fresh broccoli, green beans, Brussels sprouts, artichokes... I could go on and on. Also fresh fruit and bagged salads. The last time I was there I tried frozen gumbo. It was so good! I can't remember the brand, but I hope to find more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious! Nothing at DT is ever "fresh." We are fortunate to have Aldi and Price Rite. I see DT as an added bonus.

      Delete

Post a Comment