Orange You Glad?

Citrus fruit is the gift that keeps on giving.  This container is full of orange chunks and pomegranate seeds.  Both are very inexpensive in the winter/early spring.  This cache consists of six oranges that were on their way to over-ripe, plus one pomegranate that I just hadn't gotten around to using. Rather than letting it all go bad, I peeled and popped seeds, then set it all aside in the fridge to have salad toppings ready for the next week.

Once all the oranges had been sectioned and peeled, I stuck the skins in a large jar.  My regular readers know that I never throw out a glass jar as they are a great way to store leftovers.  Well, they're a great place to store home-made cleaning solution too.  In the winter, I start with orange skins quite a lot, since I can get a bag of fruit for two bucks... and there's nothing I like more than stretching a buck (or two).

Here's a typical winter salad for us.  Salad greens topped with oranges.  The pom seeds add a nice pop, as do pecan bits, sliced onions, etc.  I've been topping these salads with a raspberry vinaigrette.  Talk about healthy and delicious!

I've always got a jar of citrus and vinegar cleaning solution on the window sill over the kitchen sink.  Once my jar is crammed full of skin, I pour in hot water and screw on the cap.  The seal is always tight and I can leave the skins to steep for a couple of days.  Once I pull out the skins and discard, I can fill the rest of the jar with white vinegar and am all set.  I will also often steep some rosemary and thyme in the water for a couple of days, then drain that off.  In addition to the base of water and vinegar, I will often pour the mixture into a bowl and slowly spoon in baking soda.  Once the foam settles, I'll pour the mixture back into the jar.  This solution has helped quite a bit when I have to clean anything with burnt on grease. I'll pour the solution into the pan and let it soak a bit before starting a scrub attack.

From now on, I hope you don't immediately discard citrus skins.  Whether it's winter and you're eating oranges, or summer and squeezing lemons, the skins are worth wringing a little extra life out of by creating all natural cleaning solution.

Comments

  1. Your salad toppings look tasty. I use nuts..hubby is not big on fruit but loves veggies. I love fruit...veggies not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby always wants nuts on his salad. This time of year, the only type of tomato we like on a salad are grape/cherry tomatoes. The fruit solution is a lot less expensive!

      Delete
  2. That is a great tip! Thank you! I will definitely use the skins now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The solution has been very useful but TBG comments that it looks like I have jars of urine sitting on the window sill...

      Delete
    2. In the winter, grape tomatoes are the only ones that have any taste. Maybe cherry if you say so since I rarely buy cherry tomatoes. Right now, we are eating halos. I think citrus makes a sticky cleaner. I can barely eat citrus and I would not be able to smell it for too long before I was reacting. I am allergic to citrus.

      Delete
    3. It is less sticky when you only use the skins. I like anything that cuts down the smell of vinegar! I actually don't really see cherry tomatoes in the winter, it's grape that I've been buying. Didn't know if the names were interchangeable or not. I do use a lot of canned San Marzano tomatoes!

      Delete

Post a Comment