Small Repairs

I had wanted to organize our silverware drawer for ages.  It is amazing how disorderly this spot can become.  Once it's emptied, the amount of crumbs and other debris that drop from the counter becomes super evident.  So gross! I'm going to have to resolve to tackle this once a month going forward.

Fixing this edge of the drawer was the impetus for pulling everything out. Our cabinets were built into the house, and this drawer doesn't fully close it unless you pick it up, and set it in once you're pushed it as far as it will go.  If you continue to push it before you lift it a bit, it just won't close. This is how the front part got cracked.  Applying some wood glue on the back side and nailing the broken section firmly in place was a simple enough task, but one I just hadn't gotten around to.  It was also something I'd need to have done before the cabinet and drawers could be painted -- although that won't happen for at least a month.

Once the nagging cabinetry repair task was done, I set about mending and reinforcing the sleeves of TBGs favorite at-home sweat shirt.  This one is over a decade old and he really likes it.  The sad news is he can't get another and he's got a wife who doesn't like to throw things away.

I'd sewn up the sleeves (which get torn from being repeatedly pushed up), then sewed in larger pieces of fabric to cover the ripped areas on the inside of the sleeves.  The fabric can't be seen and doesn't match the material of the shirt either.  It will add stability to the area, which was my goal.  I completely stitched over the entire section that was backed by the fabric.  This is a sloppy sort of version of Sashiko, the Japanese art of visible mending. It's not an art form the way I do it, but it does work.

Small repair projects like this don't take a lot of time, but it is hard to get to them.  However, once they're done I feel a lot better. Even if the results aren't particularly pretty!

Comments

  1. One kitchen drawer, the one with flatware in it was always filthy over the years. I opened a drawer in a friend's kitchen and hers had junk in it, too. I thought maybe vacuuming it out every day would keep it clean.

    If the ribbed cuffs on a sweat shirt die, you can buy more ribbing at a fabric shop to replace it. I made a sweatshirt about 30 years ago. After ten years of light wearing, the bottom of the ribbed cuff was frazzled. So, I cut it off and replaced it. I wore it even less because I loved it. Now, it is in the dump. When you cut a cuff off or anything serged, just cut off about an eighth of an inch and the whole thing/cuff will pull right off the sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know! So far the ribbing is OK, but it is getting a bit frayed around the neck. I'm considering just covering that area with new ribbing material when the time comes, rather than cutting it out. We'll see when the time comes...

      Delete
  2. I been going though the kitchen towel drawer. I could up date a few towels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBG got me/us a few new towels for Christmas. It was about time!

      Delete
  3. Great bit of darning!
    We sorted out the spice shelf this weekend - a task I've been avoiding for ever. Now it's done, everything's more or less within date and I keep opening the cupboard and admiring our work. I'm so sad sometimes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I need to clean our spice area. I try to do that once a month but know I'm behind schedule. It's amazing how just cleaning the containers, tops, etc. make the entire kitchen feel refreshed.

      Delete

Post a Comment