We Can All Be Photographers Now

These two framed photographs are my own work, developed by CVS and presented in two frames from Ollie's Bargain Outlet.   The entire effort set me back less than twenty bucks.  Affordable cameras, digital imaging and retail photo processing, along with inexpensive standard frames with glass and matts, mean we can all have nice looking original art and photography in our home.  These two pieces were created for our newly painted bedroom, and I am really happy with how they turned out.

This is one of the originals, and is an image of the ceiling in the main chamber of Buffalo City Hall.  Our city's civic building is an architectural and decorative marvel -- and best of all, tours are free.  The camera I used was a Cannon EOS Rebel 5, which I bought on QVC for three hundred bucks.  That was a splurge, but one I think was worth it.  At this point, though, I think anyone with a phone could do respectably well with that.


The images I chose were edited to crop out extraneous space I didn't feel helped the image.  Using the standard photo editing tool in Microsoft, I also applied a filter.  The one I picked was "Mercury," as I wanted the effect of mercury glass, which I felt would fit in better with the grey color scheme of the room.

I took a photography class in high school, back in the 70's.  Photography was an expensive hobby, so it wasn't something I could pursue long term.  When my father was alive, he'd been a professional photographer, so I used his Nikkormat as well as a dark room in our basement.  By the time I had started taking classes, he had been gone for a few years.  Had he survived his cancer, I might have been able to continue with it. 

Modern times have levelled the photography playing field.  We can take our own photos, edit them and print them cheaply through retail or on-line sources.  Matted frames with glass, in standard sizes, can be affordably sourced.  Before the age of digital images and widely available development services, creating your own photography like this was not feasible.  Now that it is, I think we need to take advantage of it and stop buying stock, mass produced images sold by retailers.

This project was super affordable, but the results don't look at all cheap!

Comments

  1. Have a super New Year! I think you are right about using our own artwork instead of the mass produced stuff. Very nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment and the warm sentiment. A happy 2020 to you as well!

      Delete
    2. Those are beautiful! you did a great job. The developer used in dark rooms has been implicated in cancer. Happy New Year!

      Delete
    3. I would believe it. My father was a smoker and a photographer, and he died of cancer. Glad you like the pictures!

      Delete
    4. Amazing work,Alex!

      Delete
  2. Very nice job. My father used to dabble in photography, too, but I think it was before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie. My dad was a science teacher by trade, but he also did professional photography work and traveled around the world in the army. I have some old slides I really need to convert to jpegs. If those are still good, they'd make amazing prints!

      Delete
  3. I took photography in high school. Loved the whole dark room thing, watching my photos come to life. But now taking photos, photoshopping and all that is a whole new art form. I think what you did is super cool and classy. The photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was harder back then when you had to use a light meter to get the right exposure. I forgot everything I once knew about f-stops and speed. When I veer too far from autoshoot, the results aren't quite so good. I bet you were a very talented photographer!

      Delete
  4. Happy new year! I think your photos are gorgeous! <3

    TheNormcoreRebel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nikoline. I think you're a pretty talented photographer yourself :-)

      Delete
  5. Your framed photos are gorgeous, you've got a great eye. Far better than some generic print for Ikea - a picture that truly reflects the home owner's personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix! When there's good architecture around, it's easy to take a good picture :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment