Green Boxes

I have spent quite a bit of money on food storage containers in the past couple of months.  There were two sets of Rubbermaid hard plastic containers for our use at home.  They stack well in the refrigerator and have been great. I also got a set for TBG to use exclusively for transporting food to work.  I had thought we were all set, but still fell prey to an impulse buy for another set.  My latest purchase are "Green Boxes," which are designed to keep food fresh for up to three weeks or more.  A box of 44 pieces (22 of which are lids) was on sale at HSN, with free shipping.  They were $44, which was a bit of a spend for us, but I figured it would allow me to buy more sale produce and not have to worry about spoilage.

The first thing I stored, was a bag of salad greens.  We've gone through 2/3 of the bag, and the rest has been in the fridge for almost a week, and it is still good.  We'll finish it tonight.  Salad is one of those items that often end up wilting or going bad.  I wanted TBG to be able to bring salad each week.  There is also a large oblong container that fits three heads of romaine.   I am guessing it is meant for bread, but we generally consume that before it goes stale.

I cut up celery too.  Celery is not a staple, but it's a great additive.  It can take us weeks to go through an entire head, so having a way to store it longer will help.  I use celery every other day or so, but generally just a stalk at a time.

I also use these on our counter top now. It doesn't look as pretty as having fruit and veggies in the bowl, but it will help to have this way to store stuff like onions and red peppers.  If red peppers are on sale for $1.49, I can now buy a half dozen and use them over two to three weeks.

Oddly enough, we don't worry about bananas much. I buy them for 29 cents per pound at Save-a-Lot each Tuesday, and they are generally very green.  Even if they end up being a little over-ripe by the end of a week, puppy doesn't mind.  She is the main banana consumer in our house.

We will bring at leas a half dozen containers to camp because storing fruits and veggies there can be a real challenge. Our refrigerator is small and we buy a lot of local/farm fresh items.  The fruit often attracts flies, and if we are there for a week, veggies start to suffer too.

I hope this was not a bad impulse purchase.  On the other hand, over the long run, I probably would have wasted as much in spoiled fruits/veggies.  I'll report back in the future to let everyone know how these work.  I've been intrigued by them for a while and figured others might be too.

Comments

  1. If they work for you, they are not a waste and should save money over time. So, you are storing fruit and vegetables in these and on the counter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are on the counter, some in the fridge. If I would normally store in the fridge, like lettuce, that is what I am doing. Also anything I cut up goes in the fridge. So far they seem to be working. Time well tell better!

      Delete

Post a Comment