Kitchen, Continued...

This is what the front corner of our kitchen looked like when we moved in.  The house has notoriously little storage, and the kitchen was unworkable because of that and a lack of counter space.  One of the first things we did was build a bank of upper and lower cabinets.

We really needed this upgrade, but one thing I regret, is using builder grade/cheap cabinets.  They aren't holding up really well, but we aren't in a position to replace them.  Also, the grouting on the counter isn't great -- tiles spaced too far apart create more grime that was expected.  However, this area was still an improvement and just needed a little more help, which I had time to give recently.  The drab walls were covered up on the sink side of the kitchen using Contac paper, so I figured I'd match it on this side.  Well, it was a big pain as the distance between cabinets was greater than the width of the paper. It wasn't easy to match the running pattern on the lower four inches of the wall.  Also, the surface wasn't really smooth, so the application wasn't that great.  
The end result is acceptable.  With the counter filled in, the inconsistencies aren't overly obvious.  I don't, however, have a lot of faith that the paper will stay up.  Once it starts to fall, I'm going to resort to painting the area white and stenciling in a pattern or painting a check or plaid.  Having the lighter color does brighten up the kitchen. 

The entire project, on both sides of the room, set me back less than ten bucks, so it was worth it to try.

Comments

  1. It does look nice and brightened in the picture. Stenciling will take less time and money than trying to match paper. I had expensive cabinets that I took care of for 43 years, and they looked like new. I have often thought that if I could not afford nice cabinets the next time, I would just put in sturdy shelves and curtains to contain dishes. Who knows. I love the look of your tile but prefer the laminate. I know, cheap junk. but, again, mine lasted with care. I especially love the towel bars on the ends of the counters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will put towel bars wherever I can in order to provide space for dish towels, as you can never have too many of them on hand! When this bank of cabinets come out (and it will), I am thinking of shelving too. I might have our contractor build them and put doors on the front, but make them one long continual shelf.

      The Michael's I shop at is moving so I picked up stencils and paint on clearance this weekend. At least I have supplies on hand for when I am ready to take down the paper.

      Delete
    2. I never thought about shelves with doors on the front. That is interesting.

      Delete
  2. I like the updated look, it is bright and cheery. Contact paper adds a quick updated look but I think when you decide to stencil it will really look cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly will buy me time. The set of walls I did had a smoother surface and were not as long, so that application was easy and will last longer. The corner area is uneven and I end up having to smooth down sections that don't stay stuck. This will probably be a spring/summer project again, since I now have stencils and grey paint to use. I have now gotten other Contac paper ideas that I want to try out...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie! It does look good... if you don't look too closely!

      Delete

Post a Comment