Over-Packing on Vacation

Each of us packed a large suitcase for vacation and also brought along a carry-on.  Unlike past vacations, a checked bag was not free.  We ended up spending $120 total (round trip) for bringing along an abundance of clothing, most of which I did not need!  I'm showing what I actually wore, and swearing that next time around, I'm only going to pack a carry on.

I wore a longer stretch dress in a bright pattern with a cotton cover-up for dinner on three nights, plus one cocktail reception.  I wore it with the blue flat shoes most of the time.  Both pieces rolled up into one very small bundle.

For the bulk of the time, I wore two different bathing suits (not pictured).  The cotton shift/cover up was worn just about every day.  This was a cheap thing from Fallah's (and actually a Walmart brand), that I picked up for two bucks.  The white gauze shorts came from Family Dollar, on clearance for about three bucks.  The blue tank was a two dollar Fallah's find, and the denim shorts came from Walmart years ago.  So much for wearing high end fashion on a resort vacation...
This  white gauze shirt has seen a lot of wear. It came from a three dollar bag (all you can stuff in) from a church rummage sale.  The white lace short skirt came from a Rainbow Shop clearance rack, I think it was five bucks?  This was worn to dinner probably three times too. I paired the ensemble with flat white thong sandals.
I wear these white Velcro Kenneth Cole sneakers when traveling because they are easy to get on and off when going through TSA.  The sad truth is they aren't that comfortable as the toe box is stiff.  Each time I wear them, my feet end up being sore, so I think this year I've convinced myself to toss or re-engineer them.  They came from a clearance sale and I think they were eight bucks, so I've gotten my money's worth out of them.  I might try banging on the toe box or doing something to try to save them.  As for my travel attire, it was a pair of faux jeans leggings, a navy blue tank, and this striped oxford. I wore this shirt a lot -- it was a recent 99 cent thrift find.  The tank was a clearance Dots find for a couple of bucks. I got a deal on the leggins as a BYGO at CVS a while back, and each pack had an instant coupon.

This meager assortment was really all I wore. I did not wear 3/4 of what I packed!  None of it was particularly fancy and since the luxury resort wasn't luxury at all, my cheap fashion suited me just fine.  Next time out, I'm going to look back at this post and bring just about the same thing!

Comments

  1. Or only one of you check and both of you take carry on - that is what we do due to assortment of hubby's ointment medications for psoriasis. We also spread both our clothes in both carryon and suitcase always leaving 1 bathing suit, 1 pair shorts, underwear and anything else we can't live without in the carryon. It seems every time I travel I pack less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make sense! I bring a long a lot of product -- we never skimp on sunscreen, bug spray and skin rememdies. He brings a CPAP but I'm having him leave it at home next time. The racket it makes is worse than his snoring. That accounts for one carry-on. At home, I'm in another room so the sound doesn't bother me. Snoring is a big negative when we do vacation, so I might look into noise cancelling headphones.

      Delete
  2. I've heard that packing cubes are the bomb for traveling. You can fit a lot in them that you otherwise wouldn't fit in your luggage. I bought my sister some from Amazon as one of her Christmas gifts. She already uses them but was happy to get more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I buy bedding that comes in one of those square zippered plastic packages, I save them. I use them for packing and they help a lot. I'm always on the lookout for packing cubes on sale/clearance but haven't bought any yet.

      Delete
  3. I can pack for a month in a carry on. I did it once. Even with more medications, I can still do it now. I even packed my sound machine. And, it was winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never checked bags, even for a two-week trip to the U.K. It was SO NICE to breeze past all the people waiting at baggage check at Gatwick. When we'd go to the Caribbean, the only reason we took our rolling carry on bags was to take our masks and fins--not a lot of clothing needed!
    Of course, I'm a pilot's wife--his words were always "If you can't carry it, you can't take it."
    Another advantage of not checking bags--the agents know this, so if they need a volunteer to take a later flight, they always ask you first, and usually with some great incentives. I also always dressedfairly nicely (black cotton knit dress, blazer or cardigan), slip on shoes, which not only serves well for anything I'd do at my destination, it also increases the likelihood of being bumped to first class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My BFF is a flight attendant and never checks a bag. I've always envied her resolve and this year I realized why she is right. She told me she doesn't care how bad a tank smells after wearing it multiple times, or if people are sick of seeing the same dress at dinner. One thing I think I need to do is invest in a better carry on. The one I have is good quality, but the wheels are on the wrong end (top and bottom, rather than sides), so the bag topples easily. It is easier to roll it up and down the aircraft aisle.

      Delete
  5. Your clothes don't have to stink. You can wash in the sink with shampoo. There is always a chance you can wash in a machine. I have three outfits I bought on sale--Rafaella-- that dry overnight and do NOT wrinkle even if you sit on them. Ask me how I know the last bit...lol. Cotton stinks a lot when sweaty. I could carry those three tops and pants along with another three light tops and be set with 2 gowns and a pair of sleep pants..in case I have to be seen at night in an emergency.

    I am going to make a coat with 30 pockets to hold things, and I can wear my clothing all at one time...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do a lot of hand washing and bring shower hooks so I can dry clothes on the balcony. Joan Rivers once did a bit about only washing the crotch and feet of her panty hose. I admit, sometimes I do wash just the crotch of things like leggings! Years of business travel has taught me the importance of hand washing on the road.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, the crotch wash trick. It works for me. If anything is not dry enough to wear, you only have to use a hairdryer on the crotch.

      Delete

Post a Comment