Switchplate Switch

This is the switch plate which I spray painted a silver/pewter color after we had the walls in our bedroom covered in dark gray.  It was a cost-effective solution at the time, since replacing all covers would have been about thirty dollar spend in a month where we needed to keep our charge balance low.  Initially, this looked just fine, but since this switch is used multiple times per day, it became evident that the finish just wouldn't hold up.
Once the plate was removed, I was disappointed to find the quick paint job was done with it still in place.  Luckily, there was some paint left over, so I was able to fill in over the old color. I will need to keep this in mind when the time comes to deal with the other plates... if that time ever does come.

The brushed nickel cover was four bucks.  While I would have preferred a more pewter tone, this will do.  They didn't have four more in stock to do the outlet covers, then again, I'm not really concerned about those.  Since they are not in plain view and they aren't getting scratched up, I don't think it's worth it to switch them all out.

This is how scratched up the spray painted plate ended up getting.  I think it was worth it to update it with a new piece.  Sometimes you can save money with a cheap fix, other times, it just doesn't work out.  Oh well!

Comments

  1. I am very surprised the switch plate was scratched up so soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I probably should have put a clear coat over it? Or sanded it before painting?

      Delete
    2. Now is your chance to try different things or go to a paint store and find out their expert opinion.

      Delete
  2. It amazing what one can do with can paint spray, sorry about scratch marks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment