Two Pot Pies

I have learned that whenever I plan to make a pot pie, I should be sure to have enough crust on hand to make two.  The problem is filling creep.  By the time I mix in the veggies and protein,  the quantity is always so much more than anticipated.  In this instance, I definitely had enough for two pies. If it was a little short of a second, the filling would be used for soup.  For this duo, being in a hurry meant using store bought crust.  At $1.49, it's always worth it to pick up more than one package anyway.

The crust was brushed with buttermilk prior to going into the oven.  Since we have a convection oven, two pies cook just as well as one.  Both sat on the same shelf and browned up with a nice crispy exterior.

Each pot pie cost about five bucks to make, which isn't bad at all.  One pie is enough for two whole meals.  When an entree is stuffed full of this much veggies, there is no need for a side dish.  And while it might get tiresome to eat the same meal for days in a row... who gets sick of turkey pot pie?  Not me!

Comments

  1. Those look delicious. While I am not a pot pie person, Tommy is crazy for them. Maybe I will make one for him. Do you have a bottom crust for these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use a bottom crust. I will bake at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes, then lower the temp to 375 for another 30. I also wrap foil around the edges. Starting high means both crusts fully bake.

      Delete
  2. Love pot pies! Too bad I cannot get a ready crust here in this country. Since, I have to make it from scratch, I do not make pot pies as much as I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been slacking on pie crusts lately. Even though I prefer home-made, I can't imagine not having store-bought versions as a fall back.

      Delete

Post a Comment