I am the Hair Lady

I am grooming everyone, it would seem!  This is the pup in the shower after a particularly muddy romp.  The thing is, she needs so much bathing that I no longer give her baths per se.  We take a shower together three times per week.  It's just easier that way.

Pre-pandemic, I enjoyed my time at the pool because I could shower and sauna there.  On days I showered at home, I would clean the shower stall and wipe down the sink.  I'd finish my shower, then spray the walls with vinegar and water, sponge, then squeegee.  It was a hassle, but totally necessary.

Now I'm showering at home daily, and days I'm not cleaning the shower, I am washing the dog.  Doing this three times per week is quite a commitment.   First, I need to empty the stall of anything that can be knocked over.  Then I prepare her shampoo.  She's learned to go into the bathroom and right into the stall -- sulking the entire time.  We both get under the water, then I wash my hair and shave.  It's sorta like being on an airplane where they tell you to put on your mask first.

When it comes to bathing her, I dilute her shampoo in a ketchup dispenser (you know, the red plastic kind).  I get her good and wet, then lather her up.  In order to be effective, it needs to sit in ten minutes.  This means I scrub her, we bump into the walls a lot, then she hides her head in the corner.  The whole thing is pretty tough on my back.  Once she's lathered up, I condition my hair and scrub her some more.  Every other bath, I use Head and Shoulders conditioner on her coat.

Rinsing off is not so bad, but then I have to get out of the shower without letting her bolt out.  I put my hair in a towel and pat myself dry.  Then I have to carefully blot as much water as I can off of her.  I squeeze and wipe as much as I can before she gets out.  When it's all said and done, we share two towels plus one more.  There is water everywhere.

The fun does not stop there, as I then have to get her on a lead and secure her to the hallway railing.  This is done naked until I can grab a bathrobe.  I use the cut off end of a pair of sweats to hold her ears in place (and block noise), then start the arduous task of blowing out her coat.  I bought a blower that set me back $50, but it is totally worth it.    Once I blow all the moisture I can using a cold setting, I put on the heat.  Once she is reasonably dry, I get her up on our bed and take off her head band.  I then use a low powered heated brush to dry her ears and around her ruff. It doesn't take long to comb her out as most loose hair has been washed and blown away.

Once all that is done, I have to mop up the copious amounts of water on the bathroom floor.  Then I wash the towels and the sheet we use to cover the bed.  I wash that cover at least three to four times per week.  On days I don't wash it, I tumble it on a high heat.  All this is done (along with the thrice weekly shampoos), to keep on top of the skin mites she can't fight on her own.  There is generally a real need to vacuum after all this if I've clipped her too.

I do clip her hair before most shampoos.  Keeping her coat short is very important.  I'm not that good at it yet, but we get by.  In fact, now that TBG can't go to the barber, he's ask me to clip his hair.  I think the world is now full of men with less than perfect haircuts.  It's likely that I'm not the only wife that is now cutting her mate's hair.  Maybe I should make it more fun and insist he take a shower with me afterwards?

Comments

  1. I am quite sure he would enjoy the shower with you more than the dog does...lol. That is a whole lot of dog care, something I would not be willing to do. Glad you can. Why does the dog get mites? It seems that if you get all of them, they would not come back. I know nothing of these things.

    I cut my hair and Tommy's. When i was married and had three kids, i had four heads of hair to cut. Thankfully, the dog was an outside dog and had short hair! At least no one ran away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of work and I found that if I don't stick to the frequency, she gets bites. The mites live in her hair follicles. For a health dog, they are dormant. Once the immune system is compromised, the body is no longer able to suppress them. They multiply and bite. They feed off the skin and dander from their coat. The washing I do flushes them out and kills them. She has had problems in the past with her skin in summer when she is damp a lot. Now that she has cancer it is just a perpetual thing. We have to keep antibiotics on hand to give if the bites get out of hand.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading about Teddy's shampoo and shower sessions, no wonder she looks so good. You really are a brilliant dog parent!
    Jon's always done his own hair with Wahl clippers - he doesn't trust me - although I let him trim mine!
    I'm wondering about people who rely on others for manicures, spray tans, waxing, shaves, pedicures, threading haircuts, hair colouring, gel nails, eyelash extensions, Botox and fillers what the hell are they going to look like when they come out of lock down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! I used to hang out at a grooming shop and that is where I learned the art of washing and drying a dog. It is such a slog and can be so tiring to keep it up, but there is an immediate pay-off as she always looks great when I am done.

      I wonder how much money the average woman wastes not only on the cosmetic routines you note, but all they pay for purses and shoes. When I see that many gals I know are carrying $300 bags, I want to gag! Women are going to whine and make a big deal over how much they had to give up when they could have been doing it themselves all along.

      Delete
  3. When people go to all the places Vix mentioned, I was reminded of a term and concept for that--paid touch. People are desperate for touch, caring, healing touch. Therefore, they pay people to touch. It seems people are hungry for touch that they are not getting in their life. I pay for none of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's part of the joy of having my girl around (well, and TBG too), and I am willing to do all I have to do to keep her with me as long as I can.

      Delete
  4. We bought a grooming kit for dogs on amazon which is pretty good actually so are using it on ourselves. I cut the back of hubby's hair (mostly thinned) and sides and he did the top and front. It actually looks pretty good. I am going to grow out my hair except on top. I am totally going to be the crappy haircut in the family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps when you have long hair. I bend over and trim the edge, using a rounded clip as my guide. I use a smaller curved barrette as a template for my bangs.

      I just ordered the more powerful clippers because I realize I definitely don't need to pay for a service I can do on my own. I inadvertently left "ridges" in her fur on her sides. It makes it look like her ribs are sticking out (well, they are visible when she's wet). If only we had a way to do that for ourselves!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I have a friend who has a rottie that follows her in whenever she can. I suggested she start showering with her as a pup (they built a house and their yard was dirt for the first year) to keep her clean. Now regardless of whether her dog needs it or not, she often just follows her mom into the walk-in shower!

      We had a long haired cat that never cleaned herself. Every month or so, one of us would bring her in the shower to rinse her off. She was a funny little thing and mostly looked like the contents of a vacuum cleaner bag.

      Delete
  6. That is a lot of work! Good thing you're so dedicated and devoted to Teddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I could never do all this if I was still working. I just wish she didn't hate it so much. She spends the grooming time in a state between unhappy and stressed. Luckily, she is very forgiving!

      Delete

Post a Comment