Life During the Pandemic

I can generally only find the time to post every other day.  My life is busy even though I am  not employed!  However, there are mundane things which are usually not worth mentioning about that I'm thinking are worthwhile during this time of our lives.  So many of us are stuck with conditions imposed upon us as a result of COVID-19, I figured it would be worth it to post about the mundane things going on in our world as a result of the pandemic.

I've always tried to keep the house clean, but that is especially important now.  This idea to have a sink caddie has worked out really well!

Today was a clean and disinfect day.  I'm stepping up the effort here because TBG is still working since he is in an essential industry.  They are taking lots of precautions at his branch and severely limiting their contact with their customers.  Regardless of the virus, the world still needs heating, plumbing, and refrigeration; they are trying to take steps to make sure contractors get what they need.  On the other hand, they are taking steps to discourage the general public (i.e. home owners and other non professionals), from coming in.

I've been buying buckets and cleaning supplies for the guys and they are stringently working on keeping their work world sanitized.   I am working hard to keep our home sanitized because I don't know what TBG might bring home.  He and his team are sanitizing multiple times per day, me -- not as much!

What does my routine involve? Today I cleaned all items and surfaces in the kitchen.  I followed each step of cleaning with a round of mild bleach sanitation.  That means a solution of 1/4 tsp bleach to 32 ounces of water. I spray, then let it sit for at least seven minutes, then wipe down.

This is not something I will do every day, at least not on this scale.  To keep heavy traffic areas safe, I am washing and then drying non-dishwasher items immediately and putting them away.  I am washing down our main counter surfaces each day, usually in the evening.  The dishwasher is being run much more frequently, as I am no longer washing jars and lids by hand and there are things like hood vents and the like that are getting cleaned more frequently.

I need to step up my game in the bathroom, which won't be too much extra effort.  Bathing the pup three times per week means the floor is generally quite clean.  There's nothing like a wet dog to leave massive puddles!  Also, since the aquatic center is closed, I am showering at home daily.  I have always cleaned the shower stall and counter tops as I get out of the shower.  Of course I am keeping up with cleaning TBGs CPAP and our toothbrushes three times a week or more.

Another thing, is that I am washing our towels much more frequently.  Both from our kitchen and bathroom.  A damp towel is a great spot for growing bacteria, so I think frequent towel washing is important.

This is one aspect of our life that I am now much more vigilant about. I'm not hoarding cleaning supplies or buying pricey disinfectants. I clean with my orange/water/vinegar/baking soda concoction and am sanitizing with the bleach solution.  We don't need to let price discourage us from keeping our homes clean.  And with all this sheltering in place, it does give one something to do!

Comments

  1. I did a massive clean today as well, bought extra vinegar the other day just in case. We are so fortunate that one of our best clients (year long deal) is a plumbing and pump supply company. They might save our bacon this year, plus the fact that we were super conservative with salaries and have 6 month worth in the bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found out today that TBG's company is staggering off weeks (with pay) in order to try to rotate possible exposure. This is a hard industry to find good employees for, so I am hoping/thinking they are trying to maintain their workforce. Like the client you mention, I believe there will be an uptick once more facilities begin to be built. We need to look at this as optimistically as possible!

      Delete
  2. We are not bringing in more germs, so cleaning has not been stepped up. However, the place needs cleaning. I have never seen a bathroom as filthy as his. I only use the new commode and stealth clean it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably aren't bringing in a large amount of new germs, but having extra germs around will challenge the immune system, hence my vigilance in cleaning. Besides, a deep clean was over due!

      Delete

Post a Comment