Missing Out on the Irish

The Buffalo St. Patrick's Day parade was cancelled this year.  Teddy and I planned to attend.  It's one of her stand-out events of the year.  A large number of attendees are drunken college kids who just can't resist her.  The four block walk to the parade from where we usually park can take close to an hour with all the stops we make on the way.

I really wanted to go this year because I am fearful that it would be the last year Teddy could attend.  I was not surprised when it was cancelled.  That was a good call and we did  not make alternate plans in lieu.  Our stay at home order wasn't in effect, but by then I was concerned.  She had an actual grooming appointment on the 17th, which I cancelled because I am now grooming her on my own.  They always take a picture of her in her Irish and post it on Facebook.  I am glad I started grooming her on my own because now the shop is not open.

Now we are hearing of all the Mardi Gras revelers in New Orleans.  While I'm not good at math or medicine, it's undeniable that this was an unintentional recipe for disaster.   Staying at home seems worthwhile if it keeps everyone safe.  Sure, I'm sad we didn't have St. Patrick's Day with the pup, but it was better for the sake of public safety.  What kind of big events have you missed?

Comments

  1. That's such a lovely picture of you and Teddy!
    Birmingham (our closest city) has the biggest Irish population in England and they always have a massive St Patrick's Day Parade, understandably it was cancelled but everyone still descended to the city en masse and had a huge p*ss up in the streets - and they wonder why the West Midlands is the biggest COVID19 hot spot outside of London. Such idiots. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they have the term I am sure you have heard: covidiots. One of these stay at home days, I am hoping you can manage a kitty/family selfie!

      Delete
  2. Doctor's appointments! Those aren't events, but missed dates. I am missing the lunches at churches. That is where I see friends and catch up on now husband is or such. I even had a St P D outfit to wear and jewelry that was stunning. It was just everyday things, not a costume. I wore it anyway to store...lol. we had a lunch planned that day, but they did not meet. They always have the place decorated so it is festive. You and Teddy look cute. If he cannot make the trip next year, you can give him a ride in a wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a vet appointment in two weeks and I emailed them to remind that I know how to give an injection to her myself. Alas, my fear for next year is that she'll be gone :-( She also needs a mid-year exam and I have heard some practices have you bring in the dog but you stay outside. With her condition, I have too many questions that if we have to wait until a face-to-face can be done, we will. I think it's a great idea to dress well for going to the store. After all, we go out so much less now, it really is an 'event'!

      Delete
  3. Adorable photo of you and Teddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet she is a hit. A lot of celebration is being cancel and such. We need to get though this virus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment