Panic at the Supermarket

This is the extent of my Corona Virus grocery stockpile. Impressive, huh?  The thing is, I buy quantities on sale and I have an extra freezer, so we are already stocked up.  More importantly... we actually are not panicked and I am quite annoyed by those who are.  You see, I shop a little every day or so for what we need.  If I see a deal, I will buy extra.

My first exposure to the panic was on Thursday when I went to Walmart in search of a sewer hose for our RV.  They didn't have the heavy duty kind, so rather than waste a trip, I picked up a few things I knew I could get cheaper there.  The idea was not to waste a trip.  The shelves in the cleaning section were wiped out and the other shelves pretty bare.  I've never seen such a crowd on weekday.  So much for social distancing!

On Friday we needed eggs and crackers, and I found the panic even worse.  As a result, I picked up one extra set of essentials for the week (two cans of mackerel, a can of pumpkin, with an extra carton of eggs for the pup, and a second box of crackers -- because who needs a noshing emergency?).  It's not that I am stockpiling because I'm worried, it's that I don't want to deal with the insane crowds when I need to buy these things for next week.

While I try to stay politically neutral on this blog, I am fed up.  I can no longer stand to watch our Chief Misinformation Officer spew inaccuracies and practice self-aggrandizement on such an out of proportion (and misplaced) level.  We are avoiding crowds... but then we usually do (we are not fond of the general public).  I was planning to skip the pool but have decided that with all the chlorination,  it is probably quite clean.  The fact that public gatherings and functions are called off may be a bummer, but if that keeps infection spreading, lives will be saved.  I think missing a basketball game (even if you've attained participation at the highest national tournament level), is less important than missing your grandma.  I am chagrined that my age group is considered "the elderly" -- OK, I am two years shy of 60, but it still gives me pause! Let's protect the most vulnerable in our midst.

My investments have tanked...for now.  Meanwhile, TBG's 401(k) is buying really low. I mean, hello??? That is a good thing.  I worry about people who live on the financial edge.  Missing work will be devastating for many.  It has long bothered me to see our national social safety net whittled away so that more and more citizens are vulnerable.  We have a healthcare system that does its damnedest to discourage us from seeking care, and pays such a small portion of it when we do.  This is a recipe for disaster and we are seeing evidence of it now.

So, IMO, anyone out there outside of the U.S. who is looking to us for inspiration, maybe look at Canada.  You'll only have to turn your head a little bit to see it from where we are.  And they don't seem to have a half-wit at the helm.  To everyone, I say STAY WELL.  I am wishing continued good health for all.

Comments

  1. Let's hope for the best. Glad you are not panicking. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a relative that works for our state tracking contagious diseases and the such, so he is keeping us informed of how much testing is going on in our area. Our schools are now closed due to three positive cases, so I guess I will avoid the pool. But a long walk outside each day with the pup will suit us just fine! I hope you are not adversely affected by any school closures and the like. I hope that there is real tangible relief for those missing a paycheck.

      Delete
  2. Not everyone loves our Prime Minister but he does seem a pretty sane voice in all of this (he is in self isolation right now as his wife Sophie got Covid from traveling recently to the UK, not saying she got it there, could have easily gotten it in the airport when she got home). I am super glad we have a national healthcare system with protocols in place. We are of the "better safe than sorry" attitude and already have a good pantry and are home bodies so this will be weathered easier than some others. I am more worried for our kids but we will be there to help them out if need be. Yes, your President is nuts. My only hope is his actions during all of this will cause the american people to vote him out, even some of the ones who voted for him last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada was way ahead of us in this with jumping quickly on testing, monitoring arrivals at the airports, etc. I think of Donal Trump as our own Ron Ford. It would be funny... if it weren't so scary! It's especially hard for us because we know what goes on over the border and long for your brand of sanity!

      Delete
  3. I see what you mean about your shopping habits being similar to mine. Since I often buy bits and pieces when out, it adds up. I am no longer going to be out. The heated, moist atmosphere about the pool would probably help infectious diseases stay around. I would avoid heat and moisture. But, that is just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just changed my mind about it a few hours ago as our area has had three confirmed cases. So, no pool or town recreational facilities for me. I did buy marked down bacterial wipes that claim to kill 99% of germs a few months back. Now I am glad I found them... for $1.24. I'm just bummed I only bought the one pack.

      Delete
  4. I shop like you do. Currently I have EVOO and fresh fruit on my shopping list. My pantry is well stocked and I am thinking of getting more exercise as I self-isolate. I have a treadmill to use. In better weather I can go walk outside and keep away from crowds. To me stocking up for two-three weeks is OK, hoarding products is NOT OK. Stay healthy and be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a chuckle out of this as if you lived near me, I'd have a couple of... five or six extra bottles of EVOO I could spot you. I found the haul of them at Dollar Tree for a buck a few months back. So that is one thing we'll have plenty of. As for the rest of what people are panic buying, I wish they'd stop grabbing the stuff that I do on a regular basis that they normally have no interest in. I'm holding out hope it will be normal in a week or so!

      Delete
    2. Lol! I cook with olive oil only. I use butter only for rice and steamed vegetables. I never use any other oils or margarine.

      Delete
  5. I think most people I know is all same boat..But we will get though it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is one more thing to check off the list of things I've lived through. Let's see a recession, a gas crisis (the petroleum kind, not digestive, which is a constant in our house), inflation, deflation, wars, wars, and more wars, a massive terrorist act against our country, various assassination attempts on prominent leaders, and now... a pandemic! It's true, we always make it through. Best to you!

      Delete
  6. The world's gone mad, hasn't it? We'd probably be able to live on the contents of our cupboards and freezer if we needed to although the meals might be a bit random. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll be able to get by. I need to inventory our freezer to see what we have stocked for the pup. I had been thinking to review what we have and cull older stuff, but I might hang on to anything not open until this situation passes. It probably helps that you are a vegetarian!

      Delete

Post a Comment