Seeing, But Not Being Seen

Teddy and I have been taking almost daily solitary walks.  This started two weeks prior to the official "Stay at Home" state of affairs.  While many I know thought it was a good idea to go out to popular parks in order to get some fresh air, we wanted to avoid seeing anyone.  This whole mass-infection thing made me uneasy weeks ago.  Besides, what better way to enjoy solitude than to spend your time out with your dog?  Walking and texting? No way! Walking and stopping for kisses and snuggles? Absolutely!

Not needing to be seen has its advantages.  For one, it makes it easy for you to see what is around you when you're not focused on who is around you.   Perhaps I am a bit off, but I find the whole desolation thing very interesting to observe. While I know industrial and urban decay is not necessarily good from an environmental perspective, it can be quite a visual experience.

I have been walking on a bike path that runs along the Niagara River, passing through industrial areas.  Industries are/were linked to railroads, manufacturing, concrete production, coke production (not the kind you drink or smoke) and fuel storage.  There are vestiges of canal locks, railroad bridges, rusted fuel pipelines, and other structures so badly decayed it's hard to tell what they were originally used for.

This is not the scenic waterfront development of a wealthy area, it's our industrial roots and river commerce fallen by the wayside.  I am glad this hasn't been taken over my high-priced real estate development.  As the area breaks down the industrial and revers to nature, what is left behind is very peaceful.

During this time of "isolation," I am finding it quite restorative to bask in the forgotten/neglected rather than in the populated and popular.  I don't need to see or be seen, but I do like the opportunity to see.

Comments

  1. Simple things become joys again. I am sure there will be more of that this year than any other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I started taking pictures on my walks around the same time you did. We should think of this as a time of simple and peaceful experiences.

      Delete
  2. I think it is very interesting to see remnants of the past. There is a place in downtown Birmingham at UAB that is evidence of a long neglected shipping dock. I am fascinated and did go there often. I like the ruins of what we were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so interesting to see how nature takes back over too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking me along and sharing your world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you around! At an appropriate distance, that is ;-)

      Delete
  4. I love dilapidation and decay! I used to belong to a group who'd gain access to derelict buildings and share photos but it got closed down as, understandably it was a bit dangerous!
    It's lovely to walk and take in your surroundings - I don't own a mobile phone so no distractions when i'm out!
    Give Teddy a big kiss from me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a psychiatric center designed by H.R. Richardson that is now being restored. Back in the 80's I used to cut through the dilapidated grounds on my way to school each day. It is amazing how eerie it looked and what an ominous label the "assylum" was given. The truth is, it was designed contrary to that and once you learn about the design, you find it was ground breaking, open, and restorative. Thankfully that structure is rebounding from its state of decay. Our area has tons of examples of industry in decline. It's actually very interesting. And Teddy will take that kiss and anymore you want to send!

      Delete

Post a Comment