Two More!

I found another place to put hooks to use.  We'd been hanging our dish towels over the backs of our kitchen stools.  We actually have two towel bars on one set of cabinets, but those are on the other side of the room from the sink.  An improved approach was spawned by the desire to save paper -- and not just for the sake of the pandemic and possible shortages, but also for the environment.  I find that I reach for paper towels a whole lot less now that there is a hand towel in just about the same spot.

I hung two hooks but primarily reach for the towel on the left.  Since I am doing laundry every day or so, that towel gets washed regularly.  The one of the right rotates to the left, and then the clean towel goes onto the right.  If I have a busy dish washing by hand day, I'll just launder both.

My resolve not to let dishes sit to dry on the counter is helping the kitchen in many ways.  It's much easier to just wash something, dry it, then immediately put it away when I have the towels just staring me in the face.  This means less dampness turns into mold (or the start of it) under a damp drying mat.  The kitchen also looks a little less cluttered without hand towels hanging over the backs of chairs, and the counter clear of dishes, pots, and pans.

I have one more hook left from the pack of six, and who knows where that will go up? Wherever I put it, I'm sure it will be a good use.

Comments

  1. That looks more handy than the back of stools. Now, your barstools will look nice longer, too. I am a user of many dishtowels and dishcloths. I often hang a towel on the oven door handle. Do you ever hang them there? I was never tempted by those drying mats. They looked like a place to get musty and then mold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that sometimes. The problem is that the oven is on the other side of the room from the sink, so it's not very handy! I am thinking an upcoming project will be to paint the bar stools, and now I have even more reason to spruce them up! The drying mats work for us because we don't have room for a dish rack.

      Delete
  2. I think lot of is going to figure how to make items last and such

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still see home shopping shoes and people buy things that I can't fathom are worth spending money on during these times of economic uncertainty. It makes sense to make things last! Financially and environmentally!

      Delete
  3. We've never used kitchen roll, it always seems like an extravagance!
    I only discovered those drying mats last year, we use it when we're camping to keep the plates off the grass. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are too dependent on paper towels and I need to find a way to surreptitiously wean TBG off of them. I do like the kind where you can use just a half sheet. I think that at least saves some paper. But they are a waste to be sure. Maybe I need to switch from sewing masks to making more fabric towels!

      Delete

Post a Comment