Who is that Masked Moron?

Dipping into my stash of fabric scraps and old linen, I was able to fashion a washable mask for myself. I will let those on the front lines have the real deal, whatever I use for brief outings to the supermarket or other places of commerce don't have to be as compliant.  This particular piece was constructed using stained linen napkins, a scrap of fabric and a length of elastic from a headband that I wasn't getting much use out of.  I can let this soak in hot soapy water for ten minutes, rinse, then hang to dry.
Each mask is double sided for two-ply coverage.  I don't use any real particular pattern and my sewing skills are sub-par at best.  However, when I have been out shopping, others are wearing masks too.  I do think this is important.  Even if it doesn't completely protect me, if it keeps my respiratory output off others, then it's a good thing to do.  I also bring latex gloves out with me as I've noticed most grocery stores I frequent don't have sanitizing wipes.  Sometimes I will pop in the bathroom and grab a paper towel and douse it with the foam kind of sanitizer -- but even that is getting harder to find.

I decided to whip up a more stylish version too.  This is backed with burgundy material from a pillow case we no longer use.  The bling was cut from the collar of a shirt I decided to stop wearing because of a stain I could not remove.

We have a friend who is immune compromised and I made her two masks.  I dropped them through her mail slot and texted her once I got home.

Is anyone else using a mask in public?  Has anyone made their own?

Comments

  1. I use a mask every single time I am out and about. I got it from a table at CVS during some sort of wellness event. I only got five, one at a time on different trips. One person commented on my blog that I was selfish. Another said I wasted gas going in so many times. Of course, I never posted those comments...lol.

    I wear nitrile gloves. Before anyone even mentioned the virus coming to the US, I bought two packages. Then, the nurse gave me about 18. I must admit to using them more than once. I use a Lysol wipe on them between uses. I will make some, but my machine is not yet in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say that I LOVE your mask with the bling. You could start a fad with those.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I have a friend who offered my some of her stash of protective gloves. They have a case of them which they've had for a while -- protection while pumping gas, and also used to keep hands clean when handling RV sewer hoses.

      Delete
  2. I love that you blinged your mask. I am rarely going out and only to pharmacies, did grocery pickup. I do not have a mask but am super careful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to go out as infrequently as possible. My neighbor is a first responder and he has been exposed, but was well protected on his call. His patient had COPD and sadly is one of the fatalities (he's actually transported a few cases). He doesn't think casual masks will offer any real protection, but I'm willing to take the extra step.

      I think of the clerks and service people (like my guy) on the front line/public facing sector, and that at least sends a message that you care about avoiding transmitting anything to them.

      Delete
    2. Every little bit helps to protect you and others. After all, a mask cannot hurt. Did you read the post on my blog about how tshirt fabric can be really protective, like 97%. I believe.

      Delete
  3. That's a great make, loving the bling!
    I think the advantage of wearing a mask isn't that it prevents catching anything, it's a reminder not to touch your face. Stay safe! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It basically keeps me from exhaling on others, while making a fashion statement at the same time!

      Delete
  4. I have not gone that far yet, however I have a pattern for making one. I cannot sew very well, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of mine are open on the top (they are two ply) so I can side in gauze or surgical pads as extra protection. I looked at what other people were doing and tweaked it a bit for my own use. Hey, it's a way to pass the time!

      Delete

Post a Comment