About that Holiday

Dyngus Day is an important holiday if you live in Buffalo, NY.  It's a Polish event celebrated the day after Easter.  Traditionally, the boys spritzed the girls with water, and the girls retaliated by whacking the boys with a pussy willow branch.

This has evolved into a day of drinking, polka dancing, eating and just general carrying-on.  This year we were going to treat my sister-in-law's family to the day.  They were staying with us on their way home from an Easter trip.  Suffice it to say, both their trip and the holiday were cancelled.  As soon as that happened, I put out my faux stalk in our living room vase.  Me thinks it will stay there until the restrictions associated with the pandemic are lifted.

Every holiday we eat Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries for breakfast.  This year was no exception.  While we also gift each other with a bit of locally made fine chocolate, this year the stores are closed.  All of the Easter candy at Aldi was half price, so this haul of sweets was under ten bucks.  TBG presented me with a box of sponge candy (another specialty originating in our city).

Lamb was just not possible (too expensive and in too big of a unit of sale), so we had an Easter dinner of ribs.  They were started a day in advance using the sous vide, then finished on the grill with potatoes and brussell sprouts.  I surprised TBG with this Easter ice cream cake.  OK, truth be told, I've consumed more of it than he has...

Easter is not a big holiday for us as he is a lapsed Catholic.  I am religiously ambivalent.  I would like to say that I want to thank and offer appreciation to those of faith who stayed home rather than insisting on gathering together in public.  Your sacrifice, in spite of your belief in the sanctity of the day, benefited everyone -- regardless of religion.  That is truly special, and as a lapsed Christian, it makes me appreciate the message of faith and community the action conveys.

Comments