Black Deer

I had been anxiously awaiting this piece of decor in our master bedroom.  While the original intention was to use it as a hanger for all of TBGs ball caps, it is not mounted securely enough for that.  This is something I'll just have to eventually figure out.  The main thing is that I finally have this in place.
 This was actually a large plastic Christmas ornament.  It's large and clunky and I can't imagine how it would actually be hung -- but that's neither here nor there.  The inside is weighted with sand or some other kind of filler, so when I drilled a hole into it in order to have something to hang it with, some of that spilled out.  I remedied that with a hit of epoxy around the hole.  I then put a nail in the wood and mounted the hole on top of it.  It will do for now!
I paid full big-box Christmas price for this -- $12.99, I think.  It was ugly to start, with a sort of seasonal/faux patina on it. Being color-blind, I don't even know what color it was.  All I knew is that I'd been looking for a decorative deer head for a while -- either black, silver or white would have sufficed.  But I'd found nothing.  So, the cheap plastic head was what I'd have to deal with.

Thank goodness for black spray paint!  I hit this with multiple cheap coats of black before finishing with a coat of the Valspar I used on the kitchen island.  I'm beginning to think there is nothing a can of black spray paint can't remedy when it comes to unattractive decor.  And this coming from a color junky... Oh Deer!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally wouldn't want to hang a real deer head, but I like the aesthetic of this.

      Delete
    2. I think I would prefer the plastic one to real deer head. Oh, I love spray paint!

      Delete
    3. When we were looking for this house, we saw one on the MLS. Every room except one was over filled with taxidermy. There was one Disney Princess bedroom. Weird!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. All of the tiny closets in our house have them. They are from the fifties I think. They don't work very well and are getting frayed. But the problem is the doorways are too small for stock doors and I had no alternative to replace them. I'm glad you like them but I wish we had an alternative!

      Delete

Post a Comment