Chicken Again

This was what was left from the chicken in the crock I posted about the day before yesterday.  It was a 7 pound bird and I think I cut off about a pound and a half for the dog.  We ate the thighs, and I cut up the rest.  These stacking containers are great!  I fit two breasts plus some extra meat in one, then the potatoes in another smaller one, as well as yet another one for the bones and remaining meat.  The bird was 95 cents per pound -- a little more than I usually spend, but it's not always been easy to find whole birds these days.  In any event, I got my money's worth!

Every time I go to Aldi, I pick up two jars of Indian sauce. They have a Masala as well as a Korma.   Both are awesome for using with leftover chicken.  I add chick peas, and chop whatever veggies or toss in frozen that we have on hand.  I'll even toss in leftover rice.  The sauces are great to either simmer on the stove, or use in the oven.

I topped my pile of glop with the mash potatoes from the previous meal.  It didn't matter that there was feta cheese in the spuds -- that goes just fine with Korma.  This was popped into a 375 degree oven for about an hour... maybe a little more (we were wining in the back yard while it cooked and lost track of time).

A friend always says that the more a meal looks like barf, the better it tastes.  I think that's because some of my stews can look like a real mess, but they end up tasting good. This was no exception!  We ate most of it for dinner and each had a portion for lunch the next day.

A crock-pot meal invariably ends up yielding extra juice/drippings.  This is always something I save.  I think I put some of this in with the Korma -- I'll pour some extra stock in the jar and shake it to get every last bit of sauce.  It also ends up with the batch of stock I end up making, so some of this made it's way back into the same pot for a batch of soup.

At the microcosm, we aren't too picky with how the meal actually looks, or how many prior meals the ingredients have been in!

Comments

  1. Same here--looks of/frequency of eating the dish do not matter at all. What is the brand of this sauce? Where would I find it in Publix? I might try it as a different taste for chicken. Are those glass tops on those rectangular dishes? I have similar dishes with plastic tops. I have actually stored enough chicken and vegetables for the whole meal, all in the one dish. What brand are those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, they are plastic. Rubbermaid Brilliance. I dropped some cash on them a while back and bought two large sets. They stack well and are leak-proof. Well worth the expense! As for the sauce, I buy it at Aldi, the brand is Cook House. I believe I've also used some by Taste of India. I don't usually like to use jar sauce because of the salt content, but figure it would be the same if I did take out. Great stuff to have on hand! Also, we don't have Publix here so I don't know what they would stock.

      Delete
    2. This stuff is supposed to be microwave and dishwasher safe, but I only use it in the fridge or at room temperature, and always hand wash it. It's pretty sturdy but probably not totally bullet proof.

      Delete
  2. Well done, there lot one can do with chicken or any left overs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment