Chicken in the Crock

I decided to cook a chicken dinner in my medium-sized crock pot. That way, I didn't have to be precise in the length of cooking time -- although I knew I'd need at least four hours.  Starting with the potatoes at the bottom seemed to make the most sense since they were going to be the side.  Prior to cooking, I did "kosher" the bird in order to help with tenderness and hoping to help it crisp as well.

The chicken fit just about perfectly in the crock because I cut off the back and wings first.  Those were set aside with the giblets, then fed to the pup (three meals, including one whole raw egg with each).  In order to help keep the insides tender and juicy, I started the bird in the oven at a very high temp for 20 minutes to sear the skin.  In the future, I'm not sure this will be necessary, as I had to do this again at the end of cooking to crisp it up.   That took maybe ten minutes under a low set broiler.
 Once I'd pulled the chicken out, I mashed the potatoes -- skin and all.  Then I added in some feta cheese for flavor.  There was plenty of juice/liquid from the chicken.  It made for ugly potatoes, but they tasted really good.  Taste trumps appearance in my book.

Once it was all done, the chicken and potatoes were served with asparagus, which was baked in foil with almond slivers.  For seasoning, I used a citrus salt mixture with some dill.  This very large portion was only half consumed (OK, I ate all the asparagus!).  Of course the rest of the chicken and potatoes were set aside for another couple of meals, and the bones were saved to make stock.

A meal like this does take time, but there is a lot of "down" time during which it's just cooking away and you're doing other stuff.  The by-products are also very helpful -- i.e. the bones for stock, the ends of the asparagus for veggie slop to feed the pup.  Even the meat/fat/cartilage picked off the bones after making stock got used, as I just mixed that glop, along with the carrots and celery I used for stock, into food for the pup.  I augmented that with a few boiled and mashed up potatoes (skin on).  That leftover portion will provide five meals for the dog.

We'll be "chickened out" for the short term.  If I load us up with meals from a bird one week, I try to find non-poultry sources for meals the following week.  This bird was about seven bucks and it provided four main meals, plus another couple of lunches, for us.  It also provided six meals for the pup.  Definitely worth the time and effort.

Comments

  1. Asparagus, I am craving that. All out of veggies except lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and radishes. Used the last of the broccoli last night. Out of carrots. I need to go get some fresh fruit and veg sometimes in the next 7 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are being told to shop for two weeks at a time. That's hard to do if you want to have fresh veggies! I bought some food saving containers which are somewhat effective. So now I am keeping my eye out for interesting frozen combinations. It is hard to stay properly stocked with veggies. The asparagus were a great buy -- $1.99 for a large bunch, so I bought two.

      Delete
  2. That looks like a delicious dinner. But how do you "kosher" a chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, you soak it in water for at least an hour. Then you pat it dry and rub it generously with kosher salt. It then sits for another hour, in a vertical/upright position, so excess water can drain and the salt can do it's work. Then you rinse and wipe it down. Once that's done you can rub it with oil and seasonings and start cooking it. This was originally done for religious (Jewish) reasons -- to draw out the blood. However, it also produces a very crispy and tender bird. And this is done with poultry (turkey, duck, geese, etc.). I believe there are different rituals for beef, etc.

      It fascinates me that many ancient religious food rituals really have a lot to do with food safety. Kosher law is a prime example.

      Delete
  3. I could eat that much asparagus. We eat heavy on chicken since that is only meat I am supposed to eat, and Tommy likes it, too. I have a capon to cook, but it will not go in Crockpot I use--4 qt one. I like mashed potatoes with the skin on. Tommy picks out the skin...oh well. How do you cook asparagus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love asparagus and now it is in season! I love any method that will cause it to crisp. I rarely steam it. I will coat it with oil and broil/bake or do what I did this time: Wrap in foil with oil and seasoning, almonds. I love making asparagus pizza using blue cheese. My favorite spice for it (aside from salt and pepper) is dill.

      I also think it's one of Teddy's favorite. We have always mixed it with strawberries for her since they are both in season at the same time. I know, gross. But she loves it!

      Delete
    2. LOL... thanks. Dogs love things I would not eat. I like soft asparagus and hate dill. I might try it and see if I like it crispy, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment